#21 Annasette

Annasette

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE(Apricot @ Oct 17 2008, 09:59 PM) View Post
Annasette,  you have made several assumptions about me that are incorrect.  For example, I was most recently at the theatre on Wednesday evening.  However, I respect the fact that you, along with several people who have posted on this thread do not share my opinion.  In fact, it would be contrary not to welcome your post bearing in mind the title of the thread.

I haven't made a wrong assumption in that your presence here and your starting this thread, was solely about your interest in, and wanting to promote, Rhydian. Go back and read your own posts. You have made an effort to try to disguise it, but it is still glaring.  You have tried to go about it in a nicer and more intelligent way that the Renaissance person is capable of, as similarly only here to defend poor Rhydian from the temerity of anyone who doesn't share the devotion, but it is the same thing. And I am just very uncomfortable with that whole scenario.

You, and anyone else, are perfectly welcome to like whoever you want to like. It is just that devotional need to spread the word and get all defensive that isn't appropriate. And I am sure there must be specific forums where he can do no wrong and where to extol his virtues in every respect is the order of the day. But they won't be theatre-centric. And appearing in a concert at the BBC's behest doesn't make him anything to do with the theatre. Maybe he will be at some point in the future. Who knows? But he is not yet. And as Matthew Winn explained, there is very good reason for wariness now in respect of anything to do with him and I am concerned that this has effectively invited it back.

#22 Apricot

Apricot

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:00 PM

My actual interest was piqued by the range and strength of feelings I had seen expressed but I doubt there is anything I could say that would change your incorrect assumptions and have no wish to provoke an argument.  How about we agree to differ and focus on the debate about different types of singing and acting background as it relates to performance in musical theatre.  Start a thread and I will happily contribute without any mention of the R word.

#23 Annielane

Annielane

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:42 PM

Annesette

Well done laugh.gif  laugh.gif Congratualtions...

You have just managed to close a thread  which no one wanted on here.....God forbid the R name is ever  mentioned again. rolleyes.gif

#24 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE(Annasette @ Oct 17 2008, 11:38 PM) View Post
I haven't made a wrong assumption in that your presence here and your starting this thread, was solely about your interest in, and wanting to promote, Rhydian. Go back and read your own posts. You have made an effort to try to disguise it, but it is still glaring. You have tried to go about it in a nicer and more intelligent way that the Renaissance person is capable of, as similarly only here to defend poor Rhydian from the temerity of anyone who doesn't share the devotion, but it is the same thing. And I am just very uncomfortable with that whole scenario.

You, and anyone else, are perfectly welcome to like whoever you want to like. It is just that devotional need to spread the word and get all defensive that isn't appropriate. And I am sure there must be specific forums where he can do no wrong and where to extol his virtues in every respect is the order of the day. But they won't be theatre-centric. And appearing in a concert at the BBC's behest doesn't make him anything to do with the theatre. Maybe he will be at some point in the future. Who knows? But he is not yet. And as Matthew Winn explained, there is very good reason for wariness now in respect of anything to do with him and I am concerned that this has effectively invited it back.

I actually feel the need to defend Apricot here. When it was the ALW concert thread that was getting hijacked by endless arguments about Rhydian (that were getting rather nasty) I was in complete agreement that it was inappropriate, and I'm glad that thread has opened back up to a more general (and better-humoured) discussion. But several people in that thread commented that the place to discuss Rhydian as a performer was in the performer's section of the forum, where anyone who wasn't interested in the subject could avoid it. So I don't think it is fair to then criticise Apricot for doing exactly as several other forum regulars recommended.

At the end of the day, if you don't want to see a discussion of Rhydian - and this one hasn't even focused exclusively on him - then you don't have to click on the thread.

#25 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:57 AM

As a theatre performer who has performed onstage with Rhydian in several musicals, I'd like to make the point that he is very much a theatre performer and far more able than many males i trained with. Going on the X-factor doesn't make you any less of a theatre performer, it just pigeon holes you in the eyes of some.

Having said that, RAT invasion is somewhat frustrating at times.

#26 Annielane

Annielane

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:09 PM

tongue.gif

So glad my last post motivated someone into posting!!!!
Sorry Guys and Girls.

I am Rhydian supporter, tongue.gif but could see no point in having a thread for the Guy if no one was allowed to say anything positive! defeats the object !!!!!!
I'm not a member of the Rat pack or any bible bashing community, I just adore his voice. laugh.gif
His Album is due for release next month, and I am counting down the days. err thats 35 days to wait. rolleyes.gif

LOL  I'll be afraid to come back and read future comments.

#27 Apricot

Apricot

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:07 PM

Thank you Kathryn2, your words are much appreciated.

#28 renaissance

renaissance

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 20 2008, 11:57 AM) View Post
As a theatre performer who has performed onstage with Rhydian in several musicals, I'd like to make the point that he is very much a theatre performer and far more able than many males i trained with. Going on the X-factor doesn't make you any less of a theatre performer, it just pigeon holes you in the eyes of some.

Oh, really? in what musicals? Do you think he could play the roles in Sweeney Todd or Les Miserables? I'd love to hear him singing 'Bring Him Home'. Colm Wilkinson did it brilliantly! rolleyes.gif

#29 Guest_Guest_Broadway Fan_*_*

Guest_Guest_Broadway Fan_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:08 AM

I see there is a Rhydian and Idina Menzel duet on his debut album ..............What If.    Should be wonderful and their vocals should compliment each other so well.

#30 Guest_Chrissie_*

Guest_Chrissie_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:54 AM

I have just listened to a couple of snippets from the new album and I have to say he sings 'The Impossible Dream' very well. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but give the guy a break, he does have a fantastic voice and I think most performers would rather have a really successful recording career than a couple of runs in a West End show.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users