Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

View PostLaughingmonsta, on 06 April 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

<br />What about a return of Swallows and Amazons?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Don't know how well it did at the Vaudeville, but I saw it last night on tour, and thought it was seriously good. Thought it wouldn't be my thing, but was so surprised. Tom Morris has worked wonders on it, the songs are catchy, the story great (I didn't know it, how sad am I?) and the staging superbly clever. One of the best things I've seen this year thus far. 5* from me. A return to the West End would be very welcome.

#12 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:25 PM

Seeing Gypsy at Curve soon. Would be great to get the theatre more on the map as a producing house.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#13 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:00 AM

I am so hoping Gypsy will tour or transfer to London, or both.  I looked into seeing it at Leicester but though the ticket prices were fine, the train fares were prohibitively expensive, even for an advance purchase ticket, which is the problem with seeing so many productions, regardless of location, if you have to travel any distance, and not just from the London area.  The times I've read a rave review of something in, say, Derby, Salisbury, Ipswich, Lichfield, etc, and thought of visiting, only to be deterred by the cost of travel... and if you are a keen theatre-goer and always have lots booked already, it can also be difficult to fit in an extra trip of this type.

#14 FrontRowDress

FrontRowDress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

View Postfringefan, on 07 April 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

<br />I am so hoping Gypsy will tour or transfer to London, or both.  I looked into seeing it at Leicester but though the ticket prices were fine, the train fares were prohibitively expensive, even for an advance purchase ticket, which is the problem with seeing so many productions, regardless of location, if you have to travel any distance, and not just from the London area.  The times I've read a rave review of something in, say, Derby, Salisbury, Ipswich, Lichfield, etc, and thought of visiting, only to be deterred by the cost of travel... and if you are a keen theatre-goer and always have lots booked already, it can also be difficult to fit in an extra trip of this type.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi there, have you tried using trainline, we went return first class from London to Leicester for £24 and return to Chichester can be had for as little as £10, you just need to keep checking for the days you want. Here's a link to their full site http://www.thetrainl...om/buytickets/? and they also have an ultra cheap one that only does certain journeys http://www.thetrainl...campaign=CRITEO

#15 Angram

Angram

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

http://www.curveonli...page_id=1548715

Fringefan, special theatre/rail ticket packages through the Curve website for Gypsy

#16 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

Thank you, FrontRowDress and Angram - I don't have a problem with Southern's ticket prices (e.g. for Chichester) as I have 2 railcards I can use, though their Daysave is usually cheapest for Chichester.  But a £24 day return to Leicester (and another big chunk for the fare to and from London itself) is actually my idea of "prohibitive", i.e. when the fare well exceeds the ticket cost.  And when an overnight stay becomes better value, but requires even more time.  I know everyone has her/his own idea about what constitutes good value but my rough guide feels right for me.  I'll have to get a job with a TOC...

#17 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

my money is on Abigail's Party transferring...

#18 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

View PostRooster Byron, on 07 April 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

my money is on Abigail's Party transferring...

I do hope it's this.  Worried that the space at the Gielgud may be a bit big for the show, but I would love to see this production, given its reviews.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#19 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:18 AM

That would be a great outcome, and I haven't seen this production once yet.

#20 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

View PostMichael H, on 08 April 2012 - 01:26 AM, said:

<br />I do hope it's this.  Worried that the space at the Gielgud may be a bit big for the show, but I would love to see this production, given its reviews.<br />

It's playing a week in Bath after the Menier run, and the Theatre Royal is a similar size to the Gielgud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users