#11 Nosferatu777

Nosferatu777

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 10 April 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

<br />Did you see it at the Menier and discuss it here? And do you see every play you like twice? I certainly can't afford to - too many new plays to see!<br />

No I didn't see the original production as I wasn't old enough to be a regular theatre-goer back then. I have however seen shows I've enjoyed or found interesting more than once and have to say that quite often I got much more from the repeating viewing. I think I'd certainly be even more inclined to see an interesting show after a few years and with a new cast, director, etc. I would say that I wouldn't personally do that with a West End show but then I think the West End prices are such a huge rip off that I rarely see West End shows anyway.

#12 Nosferatu777

Nosferatu777

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

[quote name='Weez' timestamp='1333973792' post='216626']&lt;br /&gt;Well, it does take a while for word-of-mouth to filter through, and it is a short run. Am going on Friday.

So what did you think of it?

#13 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:18 AM

It's a very difficult play, but a very tight production with great sound and lighting design, and there wasn't a single weak link in the cast. In fact, one more great performance from Ciaran Owens, and he's going on a list (an "actors to make the effort to see" list, not a creepy sort). I couldn't possibly say I loved or enjoyed it, for it is not that sort of play, but by jove I was blown away. And then I saw Shivered the next day, so I don't think I'm quite right emotionally any more.
Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#14 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

Turns out Mercury Fur has been offered a chance for another run in London. Only snag is they need to raise 6000 in a hurry to do it. So if you saw it and want to see it again, or are kicking yourself for missing out, check your finances and see what you can spare in the name of supporting great theatre: http://www.wefund.co...st-end-transfer
Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#15 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

Presume they managed it!  Transfers to the Trafalgar Studios 2 from 29th May.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#16 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

A better than half price offer on this from Time Out ...

http://uk-offers.tim...als/mercury-fur

£12 for most performances.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#17 vickster51

vickster51

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

Well I saw this last night. Thankfully I had friends to go with for moral support as I was quite apprehensive about this play. I share the opinions of everyone else on here. It was an incredible production and the performances by the cast were superb - raw, brutal and frighteningly believable. I agree with Weez about Ciaran Owens - I have a similar list and I think he will be added to it! I had never been in Trafalgar Studios 2 before but it was the perfect setting for such a play, making you feel uncomfortably close to what was happening in front of you.

I don't think I could see this again as it was incredibly disturbing but I am pleased I went to see it. One that will definitely stay with me for a long time.

#18 Punk Rock

Punk Rock

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

View Postxanderl, on 13 June 2012 - 06:04 PM, said:

A better than half price offer on this from Time Out ...

http://uk-offers.tim...als/mercury-fur

£12 for most performances.
Thanks for posting the offer on here.

I have booked.

#19 dunkley

dunkley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

I really do urge everyone (who *isn't* squeamish/easily offendable) to go and see it. I went last week and found it completely brilliant. Wonderful play, wonderful production.

#20 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

I caught the matinee today. A very powerful play being given a terrific production.  The cast could not be better - ensemble acting at its finest.  Sadly, a half-full house in that very small space.  I think the play's reputation for violence is putting some people off.  It IS violent and raw and brutal but in a context which makes it feel necessary and palatable and actually quite moving.  I would join dunkley in urging people to check it out.

I did a Philip Ridley double bill this weekend, seeing Tender Napalm at the Southwark Playhouse on Friday night.  I thought it self-indulgent at first but gradually the truth of the relationship between the two protagonists sinks in and it becomes, indeed, a very tender piece.  Both actors are excellent but a special nod to Lara Rossi as the woman.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users