53 replies to this topic

#41 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

So disappointing! Good prodcution and acting, but simply not a very good play. Shame to see Julie Walters in such a predictable role too.

#42 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:31 AM

The reviews for this play, from both public and professionals, are still extremely mixed.  I'd have booked for it but couldn't even get onto the NT website when either of the Advance booking seasons opened and can't get there in time for day seats, so shall have to hope for a reasonably-priced return or a standby.  The range of comments makes me want to see it so as to make up my own mind (and, possibly, to find myself one of those who rave about it) but not at the cost of the more expensive tickets which are all that remain.

#43 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:57 AM

I was so looking forward to this that I suppose I was always going to be disappointed. It really should have be mounted in the Cottesloe on a single static set without the huge expectations of the Lyttleton and the starry cast. I had fun, but there are major plot holes and the cast seem to be acting in different plays at times. More moaning on my blog of you can be bothered http://frontrowdress...al-theatre.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#44 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

I saw this yesterday afternoon and thought it was incredibly well acted. Helen McCrory is sensational, and Julie Walters, whilst v Julie Walters at times (I think the role was written with her in mind though), shows that she can really act at points in act 2. What's nice is that each actors has a reasonably large part- it could've been the case that we have our 3 'stars', and then the pool boy has one line, but it's not like that. We actually get to know the characters- we may not feel for them that strongly (though I was moved at points), but we get to know them.

It is too long- ran at 2hrs45, and some points do drag, and the plot isn't particularly strong- there are holes in it. But there is a very good play in there somewhere. It just needs a bit of jigging about and re-writing. But it's not a bad play at all, and it's def worth going to, if only for the cast. Once again, Howard Davies manages to get some very very good performances.

#45 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

Received a massive rave from Kate Kellaway in the Observer, who loved the play too.

#46 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:49 AM

For anyone in my position (still looking for £12 seats as missed out originally), it might help to know that thanks to Honoured Guest's post of earlier today in another thread, I checked and found that a handful of these tix had reappeared for performances next week.  When I checked there were seats for Tuesday evening, Wednesday matinee and Saturday matinee.

#47 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:51 PM

I quite enjoyed this. I thought the cast were terrific, especially Helen and Rory. My only criticism would be that Rory's character was a little too much of a dramatic mummy's boy for my liking, although this is merely the writing, as I thought Rory played the character brilliantly. Just the right balance of comedy and pathos overall for me though, and I did enjoy it.

By the way, did anyone go to the "In Conversation with Julie Walters" on Friday? I went before I saw the play. One of the best hours I've ever spent in the theatre. She is adorable, and naturally hilarious. I have always loved her, but this session just confirmed it. She's wonderful.

#48 mosiemo

mosiemo

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

richard2711, on 30 June 2012 - 11:51 PM, said:

I quite enjoyed this. I thought the cast were terrific, especially Helen and Rory. My only criticism would be that Rory's character was a little too much of a dramatic mummy's boy for my liking, although this is merely the writing, as I thought Rory played the character brilliantly. Just the right balance of comedy and pathos overall for me though, and I did enjoy it.

By the way, did anyone go to the "In Conversation with Julie Walters" on Friday? I went before I saw the play. One of the best hours I've ever spent in the theatre. She is adorable, and naturally hilarious. I have always loved her, but this session just confirmed it. She's wonderful.

Like others I enjoyed the performances but not the play, which was a disappointment.

Yes, I went to the 'In Conversation' and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I've been to previous 'Conversations' but enjoyed this the most as Julie was fabulous.  OT but it was great to hear about the history of the Two Soups sketch - as you say, she was hilarious.  I particularly loved this response to a gentleman's question: 'Oh, you can come again - are you attractive?  Oh, you're old...'!!

#49 Bambodoy

Bambodoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:15 AM

The play is not bad at all, maybe slightly under-achieved, but still good fun. Overall, this is a truly meticulous production with a fantastic set design, great direction and, most importantly, luminous performances from Helen McCrory and Julie Walters. I would definitely recommend it.  

2011-2012 THEATRE

WEST END: End of the Rainbow (Trafalgar Studios), Legally Blonde (Savoy Theatre), Love Never Dies (Adelphi Theatre), Children's Hour (Comedy Theatre), Top Girls (Trafalgar Studios), Richard III (Old Vic), The Tempest (Theatre Royal Haymarket), The Faith Machine (Royal Court), We Will Rock You (Dominion Theatre), The Kitchen (National Theatre), War Horse (New London Theatre), Death and the Maiden (Harold Pinter Theatre), Jumpy (Royal Court), 13 (National Theatre), Collaborators (National Theatre), Jerusalem (Apollo Theatre), Driving Miss Daisy (Wyndham's Theatre), Ghost (Piccadilly Theatre), Grief (National Theatre), The Comedy of Errors (National Theatre), Travelling Light (National Theatre), She Stoops to Conquer (National Theatre), In Basildon (Royal Court), Absent Friends (Harold Pinter Theatre), Matilda the Musical (Cambridge Theatre), Gross und Klein (Barbican), One Man Two Guvnors (Theatre Royal Haymarket), Moon on a Rainbow Shawl (National Theatre), Belong (Royal Court), Misterman (National Theatre), Detroit (National Theatre), The Last of the Haussmans (National Theatre), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (National Theatre).

OFF-WEST END: Becky Shaw (Almeida Theatre), Tiger Country (Hampstead Theatre), Small Hours (Hampstead Theatre), My City (Almeida Theatre), Anna Christie (Donmar Warehouse), Inadmissible Evidence (Donmar Warehouse), Reasons to be Pretty (Almeida Theatre), The Kitchen Sink (Bush Theatre), Stones in his Pockets (Tricycle), Hamlet (Young Vic), Our New Girl (Bush Theatre), Richard II (Donmar Warehouse), The Recruiting Officer (Donmar Warehouse), Bingo (Young Vic), Black T-Shirt Collection (National Theatre), Love Love Love (Royal Court), Filumena (Almeida Theatre), Making Noise Quietly (Donmar Warehouse), Children's Children (Almeida Theatre), The Physicists (Donmar Warehouse), Birthday (Royal Court).

UPCOMING: London Road (National Theatre), The Doctor's Dilemma (National Theatre), The Count of Monte Cristo (National Theatre).

Follow me on Twitter: @Bambodoy

#50 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:46 AM

Yes, the play, whilst rather meandering, is very entertaining and has some great lines.  I shall certainly look out for the author's next.  Very glad I bagged a returned Travelex seat at short notice but think I might have to resign myself to forking out a little more for long plays in future as the longer you sit in that confined area, the more you want to squirm with discomfort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users