#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Oct 15 2008, 06:28 AM) View Post
People not inconvenienced by this decision

1) Kenneth Branagh
2) Marvel Comics

3) People who couldn't get tickets, would rather see a Michael Grandage production and hope that all those who only bought because it was Branagh will now return the tickets thus making them available to those who want to go for the theatre not the celebrity.  tongue.gif

#12 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:09 AM

Hmm, mixed feelings about this. I won't be taking my tickets back, as I still want to see it, but I was looking forward to a Ken Branagh-directed play, as I've never seen one before!

As for the whole people inconvenienced/not thing - it's very hard to judge without knowing what is going on behind the scenes. Production on the film might have been brought forward unexpectedly - so although he just signed for it recently, he might not have expected it to affect Hamlet at the time. Film scheduling is notorious for changing at a moment's notice, and there are many film projects that actors have to pull out of when schedules change and they clash. It literally happens all the time.

If he signed for it knowing that it'd mean not doing Hamlet, that's a different thing!

#13 DuddersMonster

DuddersMonster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:18 AM

Little sidenote, 'Thor' is quite possibly the worst of the Marvel Comics. Personally I'd much rather see/be in/be involved with a decent production of Hamlet. Seems like a odd decision by Branagh, I can only presume Marvel are paying him a LOT more than Donmar

#14 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:30 AM

How could Marvel NOT be paying more than Donmar? Film and theatre generally work on two very different scales. smile.gif

I find it quite... refreshing how a change of director has drawn such attention. I mean, it's not a 'Rain Man' "someone's sneaking off under the cloak of night and no one will ever know the true reason why..." happenstance, it's much more straight-forward. But to be offered refunds and exchanges because the *director* has changed, when some companies won't even offer refunds or exchanges when the *star* changes? I think that's brilliant!

I know it'd probably be completely different if, say, Michael Grandage couldn't do 'Madame De Sade' so *casts about* Peter Hall took over; there'd be a short news story on here, some "ooh, wonder why that is?" speculation and that'd be it. So while it could be a little disheartening that it's mostly because it's *Kenneth Branagh* backing out, I can't help but find it pleasing that people care who the director is. biggrin.gif

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#15 Annamaria

Annamaria

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE(DuddersMonster @ Oct 15 2008, 01:18 PM) View Post
Little sidenote, 'Thor' is quite possibly the worst of the Marvel Comics.

That's what I fear sad.gif . Personally I think this was not a very wise decision, and at least a bit unfair against many people, but then - I am not Mr. Branagh's nanny, and I also agree with Kathryn2 that we can't really know what's going on behind the scenes.

#16 Annamaria

Annamaria

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(Weez @ Oct 15 2008, 01:30 PM) View Post
I know it'd probably be completely different if, say, Michael Grandage couldn't do 'Madame De Sade' so *casts about* Peter Hall took over; there'd be a short news story on here, some "ooh, wonder why that is?" speculation and that'd be it. So while it could be a little disheartening that it's mostly because it's *Kenneth Branagh* backing out, I can't help but find it pleasing that people care who the director is. biggrin.gif

Your are right - but Branagh always polarizes... rolleyes.gif And he is a brilliant director.

#17 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:50 AM

Bottom line is that this reinforces the point that films are seen as being more important than theatre work - there is a little twist of irony here in that the Donmar has profited from this in the past by casting film stars and benefitting from the resulting audience interest - this time it has worked against them.

I'd rather see the Michael Grandage "Hamlet" too, but I feel he has now been forced into using Jude Law when he might have preferred to use someone else (Michael Sheen ?)

#18 Guest_Guest Boob_*

Guest_Guest Boob_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:47 PM

More important or more $$$ ?

#19 DuddersMonster

DuddersMonster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:39 PM

Well it's certainly more money but if Branagh manages to make Thor more important than Hamlet then I will take my hat off to him, then eat it and then do some other hat based metaphor just to really hammer home my surprise.

#20 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE(Guest Boob @ Oct 15 2008, 01:47 PM) View Post
More important or more $$$ ?

I'm afraid in terms of scheduling more $$$ = more important! There's such absolutely huge amounts of money
involved in making a movie - especially an effects heavy one like a comic book movie - that the producers can't afford to hire an actor if they're not prepared to be available as necessary. It simply costs too much
to hold up or alter filming. It gets written into the actor's contract, so once it's been signed for there's not a lot they can do - even if it means giving up another project that they'd rather work on.

I really can't imagine that Branagh would rather make Thor the movie than direct Hamlet - I'm guessing there's a tax bill behind his reason for doing it in the first place!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users