32 replies to this topic

#21 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 04:28 PM

"there is a little twist of irony here in that the Donmar has profited from this in the past by casting film stars and benefitting from the resulting audience interest - this time it has worked against them."

Precisely. They're even "casting" stars as directors now to pull in the punters, like asking Alan Rickman to direct something when he's only directed two things ever before to my knowledge (and the Donmar did approach him, apparently - he didn't approach them with a burning desire to direct a Strindberg).

#22 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:14 AM

There is more to it than $$$ - theatre directors seem simply dazzled by film and I'm sure most of them would drop everything to direct even some art house low budget film (and several have - even leaving aside Katie Mitchell who has turned her theare productions into amateur movies). What is also interesting is how several very good theatre directors ae really medicre film directors, but it doesn't stop them trying.

#23 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:59 AM

I get the feeling that Katie Mitchell will never leave the theatre to go into movies, because then we won't be able to see how Terribly Terribly Clever she is. wink.gif

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#24 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Oct 16 2008, 07:14 AM) View Post
What is also interesting is how several very good theatre directors ae really medicre film directors, but it doesn't stop them trying.

I think in general film adaptations of plays are rarely very good, so maybe it's not suprising - they are two completely different forms, and what works in one often does not in the other.

#25 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:24 PM

I'm looking forward to the movie of 'Frost/Nixon', because I suspect that it will be very good. However, when I saw the play, I was struck by how cinematic it was in places; perhaps it subsequently doesn't count.

Oh man, there's LOADS of film adaptations of plays that are awesome! Go rent a few of the more highly thought-of Shakespeares, we'll still be here when you get back. XD

Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#26 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(Weez @ Oct 16 2008, 04:24 PM) View Post
I'm looking forward to the movie of 'Frost/Nixon', because I suspect that it will be very good. However, when I saw the play, I was struck by how cinematic it was in places; perhaps it subsequently doesn't count.
I saw the film two days ago. I thought it was excellent (and yes I have seen the play). The film works completely in its own right but without trying too hard to disctance itself from the theatrical experience. Itís cinematic not because it opens up the landscape but because it gets into the mind of the characters with exemplary use of close ups. Somehow that makes up for losing the live element.

#27 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE(Weez @ Oct 16 2008, 04:24 PM) View Post
Oh man, there's LOADS of film adaptations of plays that are awesome! Go rent a few of the more highly thought-of Shakespeares, we'll still be here when you get back. XD

Yes, I have seen several very good Shakespeare adaptations - but I've seen quite a few so-so ones and a few really bad ones, too. I did say 'rarely very good' not 'never'.

Maybe it's just a case of the adaptations that didn't work sticking in my head more as play adaptations, because you can so clearly tell when you're watching the film that it was originally a play, whereas the ones that work as films just seem like really good films. Do you see what I mean?

Since you know LOADS, can you recommend me a few?

Ta,
Kathryn.

#28 DuddersMonster

DuddersMonster

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:56 AM

I really don't know how well this is going to go down but I really really like Baz Luhrman's Romeo & Juliet.

#29 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:00 PM

A few  excellent films which started out as plays - from all eras. Check them out if you don't know them. I'm sure others can add more.

A Streetcar Named Desire
The Winslow Boy
Cottage to Let
Casablanca
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
The Madness of King George
Cyrano De Bergerac
The Happiest Days of Your Life
The Shape of Things
Closer
Pygmalion

#30 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE(armadillo @ Oct 17 2008, 01:00 PM) View Post
A few excellent films which started out as plays - from all eras. Check them out if you don't know them. I'm sure others can add more.

A Streetcar Named Desire
The Winslow Boy
Cottage to Let
Casablanca
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
The Madness of King George
Cyrano De Bergerac
The Happiest Days of Your Life
The Shape of Things
Closer
Pygmalion

Hmm, I've seen Closer and The Madness of King George - both were ok, but I got the distinct impression that the stage versions were better. Closer in particular had that 'play adaptation' feeling.

I saw Pygmalion at the Old Vic recently, so I will have to give the film version a try.

I guess I should catch up on the old-Hollywood ones - I've manged to avoid watching those 'classic' films because they always seem to dissapoint, since you hear so much about them before you see them.

Thanks - I'll go update my Lovefilm rental queue. Any other suggestions welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users