42 replies to this topic

#21 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:14 PM

We were able to get tickets for last night's performance, last of the previews, for 20 a piece, doing so on the strength of two or three glowing reviews for 'Boeing Boeing' that I'd read. We were so glad we got in because we had a great time. We laughed and laughed.

The cast was quite a line-up: Frances de la Tour, the long-suffering maid to Roger Allam whose overactive love life so impresses old schoolfriend up from the country, Mark Rylance, and the three air hostesses, Tamzin Outhwaite, Michelle Gomez and Daisy Beaumont.

All played their parts so well, but whether it was their characters or their own inspiration, it was Michelle Gomez and Mark Rylance who put in prize-winning performances.

No surprise on seeing it that this farce has been so successful in the past. This play is bound to run, and it deserves all the stars that newspaper reviewers have given it.

#22 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:50 PM

Any chance of merging the other thread with this one admin (or mods if we get any)?

#23 El Peter

El Peter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:43 AM

Has anyone else here had a chance to see 'Boeing-Boeing' since it began its run? If so, what did you think of it?

#24 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(El Peter @ Mar 4 2007, 10:43 AM) View Post
Has anyone else here had a chance to see 'Boeing-Boeing' since it began its run? If so, what did you think of it?

Saw this last Wed (28th Feb, with 25 tickets from the WOS offer) and agree that overall it was very funny, but I felt this was much more due to the acting and in particular, the skilful directing, rather than the play, which is showing its age.

The highlights for me were: Michelle Gomez - yes, of course she is way over the top but I'm afraid I was in hysterics every time she spoke; Frances de la Tour - fantastic dead pan delivery; and the gorgeous Roger Allam. He wouldn't be the obvious choice as a 'leading man', but he is soooooo sexy! He must surely be one of the most versatile actors working at the moment. I am not a fan of Rylance and normally go out of my way to avoid him, so although he did do the part well, I can think of others who would have been as good, if not better (David Haig, for example).

The set is great, and the cheesy 60s pop songs (sung in French) certainly added to the atmosphere. Overall, a fun evening but I would try to catch it with this original cast.

#25 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:25 PM

Well a new hit comedy production has landed in the West End, and thank the lord!

I have just got back from seeing todays matinee and it is one of the funniest and stylish plays I have ever seen. Far funnier than last years Donkeys Years. The West End needs a good farce, and this is it!

It screams sixties style as you enter the theatre with the upbeat french versions of sixties songs playing out to get you in the mood. When curtain goes up the simple but chic set continues that feel, the whole production reminded me of a cross between the films Down With Love and Catch Me If You Can.

The cast is all top notch, Roger Allam who I expected to be the lead, in many ways wasnt. He, in my view got overshadowed by the rest of the cast. Dont get me wrong he was excellent with what he had, but the part didnt on the whole get the best lines or the best scenes.

Frances de la Tour as always gave an effortlessly brilliant performance. She just has perfect comic timing, and can say more with a look than practically anybody else - you could tell she was having ALOT of fun.

Mark Rylance is the real star of the show, a truely amazing energetic perfromance that in my view is awards worthy, SO SO funny. People who do comedy well often seem to be overlooked for actors in more serious roles, but his perfromance cant be easy to do!

Now the three girls, ive always quite liked Tamzin Outhwaite, although she isnt the most amazing actress she is very watchable and in this she proves her worth (much more attractive in flesh as well). Her part is the smallest of the girls, but her comic timing is great, very sexy (as they all are), and really liked her american accent, to be honest she surprised me. Daisy Beaumont, again a very good accent and she really brings her character to life. All the girls bring something different to their roles to make each character different enough to keep the audiences interest. However the real star was Michelle Gomez - amazing stage presence, accent very good (although did veer to Zsa Zsa gabor at times) and for me she did steal the show.

I felt tired just watching this amazing cast, god knows how they do that everynight with the same energy!!

I also loved the curtain call, so stylish, classy yet cheeky and tongue in cheek. Everything in this production just gelled for me and for a good few hours of laughter and to leave with a smile on your face you shouldnt look any further, it may be one of the few plays that I revisit.

For anyone else who has seen it, did the champaigne cork fly up into the boxes or was it a fluke, the cast seemed to genuinly laugh like it was a mistake this afternoon?

The theatre was packed and he got a very strong reception with everyone i heard raving about it, so heres to a long run!

#26 Elle

Elle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:36 PM

I too enjoyed this especially Michelle Gomez - well everyone really... Frances, Mark Rylance, Roger Allam... my ONLY reservation was the audience but perhaps I'm just a boring old codger... some of the laughter was so OTT it somehow subdued my own reaction... perhaps it was a mixture of the great show and lots of alcohol - it was Friday night after all... I loved Michelle Gomez's German... I loved how she moved on stage - her stances were absolutely hilarious. Yes she overpowered the other stewardesses but that was ok as the Italian was sweet and the American was quite remarkably true to life (of some Californians I have met...).

#27 Marius

Marius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:20 AM

Boeing Boeing extends 6 months at the Comedy Theatre - tickets now on sale to 20 Oct 2007

#28 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:23 AM

I've seen this and would rate it as my number one play for 2007. Wonderful comic peformance from Mark Rylance who stole the show. I felt France de La Tour could have been more drole and sarcastic and I was a little disappointed by the neat and tidy ending. But it was an hilarious peformance and felt very fresh and up to date.

#29 akp

akp

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:26 PM

Think you will find that is what a farce does - ties up all the strands in a neat ending - it is the nature of the beast.

#30 Blue

Blue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE(akp @ Mar 16 2007, 11:26 PM) View Post
Think you will find that is what a farce does - ties up all the strands in a neat ending - it is the nature of the beast.

I know but I just felt the whole play needed a bigger confrontation rumpus when the three stewardesses met up.

Still saying all of that is it is very, very, very funny and I will be going back just to Mark Rylance again in a couple of weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users