Boeing Boeing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2007 - 10:43 PM

Patricia Hodge has now replaced Frances de la Tour.  And for anyone who saw it in the early days, it's run in well.

#32 Emcee

Emcee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:05 PM

Anyone seen Patricia yet who can give us some ideas about how she plays the role?  smile.gif

#33 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:57 AM

Seeing it next week. I made a point of booking when I knew FdlT wasn't in it as I've grown to dislike her stage performances, I think she's hideously overrated.

Damn! I just caught the 'spoiler' a couple of posts above.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#34 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1227 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:24 AM

Haven't seen this yet but want to. Very sorry to miss Frances de la Tour. From the above posts it appears the performances are everything in this old piece. So I must try to catch it before anyone else leaves. Much as I like Patricia Hodge I don't think she will be a patch on La Tour? If this is a success the cast will be replaced with watered down versions of original performers - e.g Chicago and Guys & Dolls etc.

#35 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE(wickedgrin @ May 4 2007, 10:24 AM) View Post
Much as I like Patricia Hodge I don't think she will be a patch on La Tour?

Nah, I reckon she'll be a zillion times better. I was more keen to ensure I saw some of the other principals before they leave. I'm looking forward to it.

#36 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE(Backdrifter @ May 4 2007, 08:57 AM) View Post
Seeing it next week. I made a point of booking when I knew FdlT wasn't in it as I've grown to dislike her stage performances, I think she's hideously overrated.

Damn! I just caught the 'spoiler' a couple of posts above.

Which FdlT stage appearances have you not liked ? (Just interested - no strong views myself)

#37 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ May 4 2007, 11:52 AM) View Post
Which FdlT stage appearances have you not liked ? (Just interested - no strong views myself)

Blinded By The Sun, Les Parents Terribles (for which she won an award, which I just didn't understand), and The History Boys. There was a Shakespeare as well. I've not found her convincing in any of these roles and didn't feel she brought anything to them at all. Admittedly, that's just 3 or 4 performances but my experience of her stage work is yet to square with the comments I frequently hear and read in which she appears to be cherished as some sort of national treasure.

#38 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(Backdrifter @ May 4 2007, 01:17 PM) View Post
Blinded By The Sun, Les Parents Terribles (for which she won an award, which I just didn't understand), and The History Boys. There was a Shakespeare as well. I've not found her convincing in any of these roles and didn't feel she brought anything to them at all. Admittedly, that's just 3 or 4 performances but my experience of her stage work is yet to square with the comments I frequently hear and read in which she appears to be cherished as some sort of national treasure.

I did not see all of those (if the Shakespeare was Antony & Clepatra with Alan Bates which I think was her last). I thought she was very good in "Dance of Death" opposite Ian McK and fine in Saint Joan at NT - but that was so long ago that the next revival of it is on at NT soon - makes me feel my age.

#39 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE(Boob @ May 11 2007, 12:07 PM) View Post
Picking up from today's announcement for the full new cast of Boeing Boeing (and the topic about Elena Roger on the Performers board), I have to say I'm one of the few who really disliked Boeing Boeing (I do think I caught a rather bad preview) but even I will be racing back to see it with the fantastic selection of replacements they've chosen.  Think they've done a great job.  We'll see...

I opted to reply to this in the existing thread - always worth using the search facility to see if there's already a thread, by the way.

Yes the new cast looks like it'll be good. I saw it last night with the original cast plus Patricia Hodge, who was excellent. (See my comments above re wanting to avoid De La Tour). Stuke will be interesting as Robert. Makichan's endless legs will be tailor-made for the skimpy stewardess uniform. Overall I enjoyed the play and had a few good belly laughs. Rylance was terrific, the best thing in it, but everyone was good, really.

The first act was marred for me by the nightmare party of 4 behind me, 2 couples who commented on the action in normal audible voices as though having a conversation in the bar. I let the 1st few exchanges go as sometimes you find these people settle down and it's okay, but after the 5th or 6th instance it was clear they weren't going to stop so I had to ask them to be quiet. At least they said sorry and did pipe down, unlike other recent experiences I've had where I've had abuse thrown back at me (and I always ask politely and with a smile). They were also passing a loud crackly bag of something back and forth and 3 of them got up to go the toilet at various times during the performance. It was as though they were at the cinema or at home watching TV. But, I wondered, why did no-one else seem to be bothered by them? Not even a half-turn and glare from anyone. Anyway, I found an unoccupied seat for the 2nd act, thankfully.

#40 Emcee

Emcee

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:31 PM

What is Amy like as Gloria?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users