#11 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

View Postfreckles, on 13 April 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

If the audience is in agreement that an ovation is deserved and rises up as one, it's not a problem. The annoyance comes when only some of them decide to ovate, and although you may not feel like doing so, you are forced to stand because those in front of you are and you can no longer see!

You're not forced to stand, that would imply someone pulls you up and makes you stay on your feet.  You can look around people, so if you don't want to get up, there is nothing making you do so.

#12 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5144 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

Sorry guys, but the show is not over when the curtain call is on. I like to see the actors come out of character and acknowledge the audience. If someone gets up in front of me I do not like it. I am either forced to stand myself when I don't want to for whatever reason or made to look like a meanie.
If you stand and you see that others behind you are not, the polite thing to do is to edge sideways and nod to those behind before indulging yourself.
I do stand very occasionally but have always found that the whole audience has stood with me - amazing that, isn't it?

#13 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

I am very selective too. Many a time I have been the only person to give a standing ovation and I have also stayed sitting if I didn't think a show deserved one even if most others were standing! I ovate if I believe a show or performer in it deserves one and don't if I don't! :)

#14 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

If I wanna stand, I'm gonna stand!

#15 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

View Postposter J, on 13 April 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

<br />You're not forced to stand, that would imply someone pulls you up and makes you stay on your feet.  You can look around people, so if you don't want to get up, there is nothing making you do so.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

If several people stand in front of you, you can't see!

I agree with Lynette, the performance may be over but I want to see the bows & the actors;you can't "look around people"!

its not a big deal, but am just pointing out why I think some people get annoyed.

#16 isabel

isabel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1092 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

If you want a show that's bad for feeling pressurised to stand it's WWRY. Anyway if i wanna stand i'll stand :)

#17 *Beatrice*

*Beatrice*

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

OVATE?!!

#18 ultimatetheatrefan

ultimatetheatrefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

I'll only give a standing ovation, if I think the show has been worthy of one. I am however, always aware of people behind me tutting.

Of course, on some occasions such as area event trip to 'Singin' In The Rain', the entire audience was on its feet.
Hasa diga eebowai

#19 Orchestrator

Orchestrator

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

View Post*Beatrice*, on 13 April 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

OVATE?!!
I'm afraid so, Beatrice; I think linguists call it a back-formation.

In this thread, as in reallife, people are using the word "ovation" as synonymous with "standing ovation", which annoys me a bit but what can I do?
Ooh, that Bernadette Shaw - what a chatterbox!

#20 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

View Post*Beatrice*, on 13 April 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

<br />OVATE?!!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

sorry, nicked that from the West End Whingers , who use it frequently!  (I know it doesn't really mean that but its quick to write & you know what I mean.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users