2 replies to this topic

#1 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:38 PM

I finally got round to buying this and It's so much better then what I have heard about it. My first impressions wern't too great but once you get used to the awful Jigsaw set then it's really quite good.

To me SJS's song don't really work when taken out of context and especially if you try to weave a a narrative around it but here most of them do work. I feel Getting maried today is to give the audience a laugh towards the end.  But hey what the heck Carol Burnett is fabulous in the role.

The relationship between CB and George Hurn is amazing, you really feel for them as characters. Both give an amazing performance

Bronson Pinchot is also really good and cute in all the right ways. Plus good comic timing

Ruthie Henshall, I like but ...

John Barrowman looks and sounds great but as usual he could be singing a shopping list or his 7 times table because the guy has no depth ... I'm not sure how old RH & JB are supposed to be but they cavort around the stage like star crossed 20's year olds looking 35 year olds

It's good  biggrin.gif I would love to see it done over here (wasn't it done in Chichester and Harrogate?)

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#2 Felix

Felix

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:50 PM

I loved the DVD! The whole cast is amazing! JB looks great though not so for close-up as he looked abit too...drag for me! Anyway, Ruthie was FAB! Her 'lovely' and 'More' is more than lovely! Carol, George... what I can say? They're Broadway legends! And Bronson, his solo number (name I forgot on the top of my head) is wonderfully hilarious. I loved the jig-saw set.... made me laugh so much at the 'It's Hot Up Here' number when Ruthie says 'this is completely out of proportion!'
Anyway, I love LOVE Sondheim maybe that's why I love this DVD... AND I LOVE Ruthie as well so, haha this is like the perfect DVD for me tongue.gif

#3 Boq

Boq

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order:<br />Ruthie Henshall, Linzi Hateley, John Barrowman, Roger Rees, Kerry Ellis, Tonya Pinkins, Maggie Smith, Ian McKellen, Julie Atherton, Stephanie J.Block, Angela Lansbury, Elaine Paige, Hugh Jackman, Elena Roger, Philip Quast, David Suchet, Judi Dench, Fox-Jackson Keen

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:21 PM

I think it's great to have this show on DVD. The cast is simply amazing and and some numbers (like "Old Friends") are very touching. I have to agree with Felix that Ruthie is just lovely in every way. George Hearn is a true star and theatre veteran (there is a DVD called "Jerry Herman's Broadway" and Hearn sings "I Am What I Am" bloody fantasic - he blew me away!) Carol Burnett is so funny ("Getting Married" is hilarious) and Bronson Pinchot is really good, too.Barrowman is such a cutie and I think this DVD is a must have for every Sondheim fan!
All the best performers bring to their role something more, something different than what the author put on paper. That's what makes theatre live. That's why it persists.

- Stephen Sondheim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users