• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LittleSally

LittleSally

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

Am I the only one who hates the distraction of audience members fiddling about and texting during a performance?

#2 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

No you're not. I could write a book on it. The number of people around me I've had to tell to stop messing with mobiles during shows is unbelievable. It's the height of rudeness and bad manners and totally idiotic. Hugely disrespectful to the performers and other audience members. If someone is annoying you due to messing on a mobile or any other bad behaviour, don't just sit there and take it. Say it to them and if necessary complain to the duty manager. Theatres really need to be much more strict in enforcing the rules.

#3 Moira

Moira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, music, books, ecology

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

I often tell people quite loudly to "Put it off".  If they don't respond to that I say even louder "Put it off, the light is distracting everyone behind you."  Apparently this can be heard on stage even if I sit at the back.  :D

#4 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:36 PM

Oh god, it is my pet peeve. I always ask people to stop. Mind you the bloke who appeared to be texting for 10 minutes at Jekyll & Hyde on Sunday was mightily peed off when I asked him to turn his phone off, he replied in a vey plummy voice "that's what I am trying to do". I should have known, I have never experienced it on the fringe, only in the West End. Believe it or not a woman was sitting on the second row at Hamlet at the National merrily texting or tweeting when the action was feet away. That's the only time I've seen it there though.
www.frontrowdress.com

#5 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

It really annoys me.  If anyone sitting beside or in front of me has their phone out I tell them to put it away.  Usually works, but I'd happily complain to an usher at the interval if it doesn't.

It's not exactly the same thing, but just as annoying:  I remember one time I went to see Wicked and was reading twitter during the interval and saw Louise Dearman had tweeted about the very distracting red light in the audience from somebody obviously recording the show.  She seemed very annoyed about it.  Thankfully I was front row that day, but I don't understand how people could be so disrespectful to the performers, and pay so much money and not even watch the show properly!

#6 ambermollers

ambermollers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:41 AM

Is it too much to disregard a phone call or a text and even tweeting? I mean it just for a few hours. Will they die of they don't get a hold of their phones?

#7 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:18 AM

I wish they could block all mobile phone reception in theatres. People think they are being discreet but it is the lights that are an annoyance; must be for the performers. Just watch the show!

#8 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

Unfortunately blocking the frequency that mobile phones use would also mean problems with Radio Mic's etc - I have real problems with people using their phones in a theatre, in fact I had to laugh as I was texting pre show the other day (10 mins before curtain up) and a quite rude FOH member came up to me and told me to Switch my phone off now...good work, but a little pre-emptive!

Now the question about Live Tweeting in certain theatres - I actually don't mind this if as they are in some theatres - away from view of other patrons and at the back of the theatre - can't say what it is like to see from a performers perspective as that hasn't happened to me yet, but I do have my doubts over the benefits that the theatre gains especially if it is a stinker!!!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#9 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

It's so annoying,  dispespectful and selfish. If you can't survive an hour or so without having to check your phone and text/tweet and in the process distracting the performers and everyone around you then you have a serious problem and really should be getting some therapy!

The joy of theatre going is that it is escapism from the real world. If you stay connected with the real world during it then you'd really be better off flushing the money you spent on your ticket down the loo!

#10 bex1210

bex1210

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

It's so annoying! Why, when you've paid to see a show, would you sit fiddling around on your phone for the whole thing. Just put it away, I'm sure nothing's so important that it can't wait until the interval or the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users