46 replies to this topic

#31 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:31 AM

You should see this if you can, a great night.

#32 theatremonkey.com

theatremonkey.com

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

We are working on the seating plan - there's a problem in that a few seats are still yet to be finalized.

I sat in the middle of stalls row O and had the perfect view. A race track encloses rows C to F and the stage is VERY high. On the stage itself the view from the front row is perfect, but doesn't have much legroom if you can't rest your feet on the stage revolve itself (a bit higher than audience floor level).

The dress circle has views through hanging lights, while the upper circle may not see the front race track if you are seated far back. Again, we are waiting to check it.

There's offers around, so anything going at a good price in the stalls is a good bet.

The play itself is indeed memorable for the staging alone.

#33 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

View Posttheatremonkey.com, on 10 July 2012 - 07:43 AM, said:

We are working on the seating plan - there's a problem in that a few seats are still yet to be finalized.

I sat in the middle of stalls row O and had the perfect view. A race track encloses rows C to F and the stage is VERY high. On the stage itself the view from the front row is perfect, but doesn't have much legroom if you can't rest your feet on the stage revolve itself (a bit higher than audience floor level).

The dress circle has views through hanging lights, while the upper circle may not see the front race track if you are seated far back. Again, we are waiting to check it.

There's offers around, so anything going at a good price in the stalls is a good bet.

The play itself is indeed memorable for the staging alone.

Thank you, that's very helpful.

I remember now how high the Gielgud stage is, had forgotten it's one of the theatres where I know I'm too short to sit near the front!

#34 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

I was surprised but pleased to read that in its first weekend the re-released Chariots of Fire only took just under £64,000 in 147 cinemas, a pathetic £434 average yield per screen. I saw the first half of this film in a sold-out large city centre cinema when it first ran in the ealy '80s but I walked out when I could stand its sickening triumphalism no longer. Am I alone in my allergic reaction?

#35 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5131 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

Not sure I agree about the ' triumphalism'. I think it is a more interesting piece than that. It shows up the Establishment, outs prejudice, celebrates friendship and true faith, not the ghastly hypocrisy we get these days. The running's quite interesting too.

#36 Angram

Angram

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

I just remember it as an excellent film about two men from contrasting backgrounds who overcome obstacles to achieve sporting success. Not fanatically jingoistic or smugly superior, which is how I would interpret "triumphalism".
Anyway, in view of the Olympic theme, we are going to see the play on our free evening in London next week - although my son was expecting something akin to Ben Hur until I explained it to him....

#37 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

Have a great time! B)
Will enjoy thinking of you in London!

#38 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:01 AM

Now doing good business, building and building, wishing them luck it continues thru the next tricky few weeks
Barbara Broccoli really  is a sensational Theatre Producer

#39 TracyK

TracyK

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Musical theatre, crime books and sci fi

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

Went to see this on Saturday matinee.  Managed to get some day seats and ended up sat on the stage seats. Wasn't sure what to expect but love the movie so was intrigued to see how it was staged.  Was completely wowed by the production.  Loved the use of the running track and revolve.  The staging of the races was amazing and overall had an fantastic afternoon.  Definitely recommend tif you haven't seen it go.  Brilliant cast and stunning production.
There's Always Tomorrow

#40 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

What time did you arrive for dayseats?
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users