#1 Chewing the Scenery

Chewing the Scenery

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

Hello,

As the title suggests, I have published a review directly comparing the new touring production with the West End, having seen both productions within the space of a week.

For those who are interested, a link is here; http://t.co/dcOu8Fix

Please feel free to leave any comments or feedback on the blog so that others may read your opinions and thoughts!

- Harry Zing
Chewingthescenery.com

#2 Danilo

Danilo

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Haha! I love the Roger De Bris reference! That was exactly how I saw Joback's performance as well (I think we may have been at the same performance last week) I said to a friend, that I knew Phantom's were meant to go 'Oooo', but this Phantom was more 'Ooo matron!'

He wasn't terrible, just not convincing for me.

I think your summary is very fair. Personally, I think the London show is a better production (although the tour had some moments that improved the original) but I think the tour is better cast and better drilled at the moment.

One other thing I found in London is that with a Swedish Phantom and a Portuguese Christine, there were some very strange accents going on! (Not that I couldn't sing in accentless Swedish or Portuguese mind you)

One note about the Hungarian chandelier is that that show is also 'non-resident' in that it plays in short runs of a few nights. Sure, some of the rigging may be able to stay in place, but their staging has to be more 'removable' than the UK Touring version.

#3 Chewing the Scenery

Chewing the Scenery

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

View PostDanilo, on 19 April 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

<br />Haha! I love the Roger De Bris reference! That was exactly how I saw Joback's performance as well (I think we may have been at the same performance last week) I said to a friend, that I knew Phantom's were meant to go 'Oooo', but this Phantom was more 'Ooo matron!'<br /><br />He wasn't terrible, just not convincing for me.<br /><br />I think your summary is very fair. Personally, I think the London show is a better production (although the tour had some moments that improved the original) but I think the tour is better cast and better drilled at the moment.<br /><br />One other thing I found in London is that with a Swedish Phantom and a Portuguese Christine, there were some very strange accents going on! (Not that I couldn't sing in accentless Swedish or Portuguese mind you)<br /><br />One note about the Hungarian chandelier is that that show is also 'non-resident' in that it plays in short runs of a few nights. Sure, some of the rigging may be able to stay in place, but their staging has to be more 'removable' than the UK Touring version.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks for the feedback Danilo; we quite possibly were at the same performance. Were you the one trying not to laugh? There were quite a few with the same symptoms though, to be fair. I completely forgot about the bewildering array of accents, which were just lovely - a very multi-cultural bouquet as 'twere. And thank you for the correction on the Hungarian production (which I found entirely more ambitious than the UK tour, incidentally, if perhaps lacking in the talent pool we have over here).

#4 SimonAitken

SimonAitken

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Hate to nit-pick here but, why didn't you post this in the tour thread that already exists?

#5 Chewing the Scenery

Chewing the Scenery

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostSimonAitken, on 19 April 2012 - 02:41 PM, said:

Hate to nit-pick here but, why didn't you post this in the tour thread that already exists?

Hi Simon. The piece isn't solely related to the tour. It seemed more sensible to post it here with a clear description in the title and let those who are interested read it and respond productively, than post it in several different threads and be accused of spamming it. Have you seen the productions yourself?

#6 SimonAitken

SimonAitken

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostChewing the Scenery, on 19 April 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

<br />Hi Simon. The piece isn't solely related to the tour. It seemed more sensible to post it here with a clear description in the title and let those who are interested read it and respond productively, than post it in several different threads and be accused of spamming it. Have you seen the productions yourself?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Seen the 25th Anniversary, not the actual London production. Seeing the tour in September, JOJ's last performance. And that does seem sensible though you could have stated it in the main UK tour topic

#7 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

View PostChewing the Scenery, on 19 April 2012 - 11:21 AM, said:

<br />Hello,<br /><br />As the title suggests, I have published a review directly comparing the new touring production with the West End, having seen both productions within the space of a week.<br /><br />For those who are interested, a link is here; <a href='http://t.co/dcOu8Fix' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://t.co/dcOu8Fix</a><br /><br />Please feel free to leave any comments or feedback on the blog so that others may read your opinions and thoughts!<br /><br />- Harry Zing<br />Chewingthescenery.com<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I had a quick look at your comparison.  While there are some points I agree(yes,JOJ should lose some weight!) , I also find your view a little biased.

I may leave more detailed comment when I've read your review more closely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users