27 replies to this topic

#1 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Thought I'd set up this thread for people to share any theatre related TV programmes that might be hidden in the schedules.  I remember an excellent series on the Theatre Royal Haymarket (It was called Theatreland, I think) a few years back and was glad it was posted on here so I knew to watch it.

I'll get the ball rolling with a series that, while not theatre itself, is a series of one-off televised dramas starring lots of actors I'm sure many of us have seen in the theatre.  'Playhouse Presents' is on Sky Arts on Thursdays at 9 and the first one was last week starring David Tennant.  Not watched it yet so can't comment on the quality but the series looks like it might appeal to theatre fans.

#2 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

whhat a great idea - thanks
if i see things i try to remember to post! :-)

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#3 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

BBC 4 Monday 9pm. The King and the Playwright. Shakepeare during James I's reign http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/p00qhsr7

#4 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

Sky Arts has regular short theatre documentaries - this week for instance they are showing (for the umpteenth time) a behind the scenes at the Globe programme, and there is also a documentary about the National Theatre of Wales. Worth keeping an eye on their schedules as these things pop up more or less at random :)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#5 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

They often do short pieces too. An actor or two doing a favourite Shakespeare monologue, or a 10 minute piece on a recent production of something cool. Always worth having a thorough scroll through especially the Sky Arts 2 schedule. :)
Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#6 jean_hunt

jean_hunt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

View PostJonnyBoy, on 20 April 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

<br />Thought I'd set up this thread for people to share any theatre related TV programmes that might be hidden in the schedules.  I remember an excellent series on the Theatre Royal Haymarket (It was called Theatreland, I think) a few years back and was glad it was posted on here so I knew to watch it.<br /><br />I'll get the ball rolling with a series that, while not theatre itself, is a series of one-off televised dramas starring lots of actors I'm sure many of us have seen in the theatre.  'Playhouse Presents' is on Sky Arts on Thursdays at 9 and the first one was last week starring David Tennant.  Not watched it yet so can't comment on the quality but the series looks like it might appeal to theatre fans.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I'd be interested to hear what you made of the Tennant Playhouse Presents, if you've seen it. It kept a friend and I talking for ages trying to make sense of it! We've promised to give it a second viewing and come back to the argument...!

#7 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

Not because I am compiling it (although I am), but every week I do a blogpost about theatre stuff on tv / radio.
Latest entry
http://theatre.revst...-apr-23-29.html

It's usually posted Sunday or Monday.

#8 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

View Postjean_hunt, on 24 April 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

I'd be interested to hear what you made of the Tennant Playhouse Presents, if you've seen it. It kept a friend and I talking for ages trying to make sense of it! We've promised to give it a second viewing and come back to the argument...!

It was compelling, chilling and a complete original. The plot throws a lot of questions, but I don't think you are meant to pick holes on it in a conventional way. Most of all, it felt like you were in a grave looking out, that's the only way I can describe it. Not necessarily pleasant, in fact chilling and frightening, but couldn't stop watching it.

#9 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:40 PM

View Postjean_hunt, on 24 April 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

<br /><br /><br />

I'll let you know when I've seen it a second time.  I watched it after a long day at work and kept drifting off to sleep.  So what seemed muddled and confusing was made somewhat worse by the fact I missed about a third of it.  It certainly seemed 'deep'.  Tennant as watchable as ever.

#10 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:36 PM

tv and radio for theatre fans, schedule for April 30th - May 6th
http://theatre.revst...r-30-may-6.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users