275 replies to this topic

#101 Rozzi Rainbow

Rozzi Rainbow

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

I saw a live screening last night and absolutely loved it. Every second. I thought it was all amazing, the cast, the staging, the lighting and projections. There are no words I feel I can use to describe it. I felt as though I was actually there in the theatre, the camera work didn't bother me at all, in fact I felt we got a better view than we may have in the theatre as we had the right angles on all the action, and close ups.

I thought it was a very good representation of the book, and was a lot more dramatic than I expected, I could hardly get out of my seat at the interval, I was still trying to take it all in. They have cut quite a few bits, which I suppose was needed to keep the story moving quickly. My favourite chapter was cut, which I am a bit disappointed about, but it's not surprising as it is an "in between maths chapter" rather than part of the story, and I don't know how they would have staged it. I loved the extra bits they have added in, with it now being a play rather than a book. I thought it was good how they covered the narration, without Christopher himself having to recite almost all of the lines, and I thought Luke did a brilliant job being onstage all of the time.

Our small cinema was sold out, and we even clapped at the end, which made us feel like we were there! No-one left while he was explaining the maths, I wouldn't have expected anyone to. Although it is suggested people could leave then, I wouldn't have expected anyone to take that seriously!

Our cinema are showing an encore screening on Monday 24th, it's a shame it's in the afternoon, I'm considering bunking off work to go again. I hope it does move to a bigger theatre as I would love to see it again in person.

:D :D
"Seek salvation in the place of living rock.
A bright bright star will show the way.
Go to where the champions played."

#102 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

View Postzyx123, on 07 September 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

Saw the NT Live screening, and really liked it. Agree with the point above, I thought the camera work was pretty bad. Couldn't help feeling how much better it would be, being sat in the theatre. Full screening where I saw it in a 300 seat cinema, amazed how many people just walked out while he was doing the mathematical proof.
There seemed to be rather a lot of unnecessary overhead shots at the beginning, i know this was to show the projections but presumably the audience could see so seemed bit much, reminded me of when they filmed frankenstein and seemed obsessed with overhead shots at the beginning as well. Live screenings can't replace the real thing for me, you know you are missing stuff, the atmosphere and of course you have no control over what you look at but that said that is brillant. Latecomer had explained what they did with the staging with persuaded me to see the NT live showing but i hadn't imagined just how good it would be. So, so clever.

A lot of my cinema left before or during the proof although some stopped when they realised what was happening, sad to say i got lost after pathagaros' therum.

#103 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

Just in from seeing this. Having never read the book, I had no idea what to expect but loved it all. I thought act 1 was the stronger of the two, as I didn't like the pacing of the second half. Not the story I expected at all, and indeed it ventured into a story I couldn't have seen coming - especially the second mystery he aimed to solve (which I think is slightly wrong as it detracted from the justification of his fathers character up until that point).

One thing I couldn't help but think about whilst watching it is how easy it would be to adapt for TV. Its not film material, but it would be so easy to do a two parter on ITV. I hope something is in the works.

If I stay awake, it must be good.

#104 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

Mind blowing! Having read the book I was very interested in seeing this, and so this afternoon I went along and bought a 5 standing ticket. It was very faithful to the book from how I recall, and I particularly liked the breaking of the 4th wall during some moments of act two, especially the post curtain call section.
Luke Treadaway, well, what a performance. Are performances in the Cottesloe eligible for Olivier awards? If so he could be a very strong contender
The standing positions are great btw, a great way to see it since it is completely sold out. There was a very long line for returns

#105 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

Yes, the Cottesloe is eligible. Collaborators won the Olivier for Best New Play there last year, before it transferred to the Olivier. Similarly, London Road's many nominations.

I agree- superb, and Luke Treadaway... perfect.

#106 NickP

NickP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

Saw the matinee of this today - just stunning! I've never come out of a show feeling the way I did today before - it was just perfection, everything about it. I loved the staging and sitting in the front row at a few points Una Stubbs was sitting an arm's reach in front of me! Having read the book, the way they adapted many of the scenes was really inventine and clever and it worked really well whilst still being very faithful.

Luke Treadaway - give him the Olivier now!!!

#107 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:29 PM

http://shallicompare...g-in-night.html

Before seeing this production I listened to an audio recording of the book. I learnt beforehand that although the text never mentions it, the blurb classified Christopher's condition as asperger's syndrome. I myself have high functioning autism, which to many is similar to asperger's. On some level I did relate to the character, but I felt that as I was reading the book many of the attributes associated with autism were coming at me thick-and-fast. For someone who has a similar condition to mine, I thought that Christopher was doing things that I had never done or had grown out of by his age. Even my mum, who had read the book some time ago, thought the same thing.

I looked up on the book and found out about the accuracy, the debate over the blurb, and how Mark Haddon said in 2009 that he knew little about autism, and that he believed that the book was not about asperger's but difference. It is hard for me though to ignore the fact that the book is written from the perspective of someone who is perceived to have this condition. People with aspergers have also said on forums that although people with the condition do not have the same attributes, Christopher has too many to be accurate

I have nothing against the book. As I said I did relate to Christopher on some level and I do like the story. I do not know what exactly I think about him, and I even wonder whether I am not being self observant about myself. Yet I do feel that Christopher is not an accurate representation of asperger's.

That being said this production was well paced, and very imaginative in staging this story and the cast did well to present these characters. I forgot about my reservations and for what it was enjoyed it immensely

Low Full Price
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#108 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:58 PM

Anyone know what the day ticket situation is like with this and what time to get there?

#109 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

Not sure on day seats but I got a 5 standing ticket 45 minutes before the show two Saturdays ago

#110 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

View PostMark_E, on 26 September 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

Not sure on day seats but I got a £5 standing ticket 45 minutes before the show two Saturdays ago

That's great thanks. Not sure I'd stand, but gives me some hope!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users