275 replies to this topic

#161 Zinone

Zinone

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

I'm baffled by the enormous praise this has received. I saw it last night (for the first time) and found it inventive in parts with a great central performance but pretty unremarkable overall, as well as being far too long. I found all the other actors lacking in terms of basic believability - particularly the parents - and Niamh Cusack's is one of the most affected, unnatural and irritating performances I can remember seeing.

I accept that many others love the play, so I'm not wanting to start an argument, but thought it was worth piping up as a (lone) dissenting voice!

#162 vickster51

vickster51

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

View Postcanadian_turtle, on 06 March 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

Has anyone seen the new production yet? If so, what are the chages like? They sound really cool, but I'd love to hear what people think after actually seeing them implemented.

Also, any info on the day seats? (good/bad view, long/short queue in the morming, etc). Thanks :)

I'm just home from seeing this wonderful production again. I'm sure the other actor performing on Mondays and Tuesdays is good but I would still say if you are only going to go once, then go and see Luke Treadaway. He really is superb in this role. I found the play just as emotional and moving as at the National.

There are some tweaks. I don't want to spoil anything but I will say that the walls are used in this instead of the floor for certain things and there are projections on the walls as well as the floor which mean that even from the front row you don't miss anything significant. There are some new quirks too which I very much enjoyed, making the transition to the new space work very well.

I benefitted from my friend queuing for day seats this morning, which are the front row for £12. I'd say this is well worth it for a second visit, as although the stage is high, you don't miss out on anything and it's wonderful to be so close to such brilliant performances. I'll definitely try and day seat again for this, as I have a friend who would love it.

#163 kjb

kjb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

I dayseated this morning. I got there at 8am and started the queue. (Next door, The Audience had 6 people in the queue at 8am) I was on my own until 9.15 when another couple arrived. At 10am it was still only the 3 of us.

I was really surprised it wasn't busier early on.

At the evening show, all day seats had been bought though.

(I popped to the Box Office at 7.15 to ask them a question, and someone collecting their tickets for in the Gods somewhere had been upgraded to the back of the stalls)

#164 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:44 AM

Ah, that's tempting me to book for the EntryPass £12 God tickets in the hope of being upgraded..

#165 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

Having seen this twice last year in the Cottesloe, I was expecting it to feel a little lost in a bigger space with a traditional staging. I was confounded. It is somehow even more magical and more powerful now it's in the Apollo.

They have adapted the staging for the new space very well. The stage has been built out (and I'm pretty sure the stalls have had a steep rake added to them, though that could be my imagination. But in row M of the stalls last night, my feet weren't quite touching the floor when I sat down. And I'm tall) quite far, so the first two rows of the stalls have been removed and the front row is now VERY close. If you're on the high numbers side, you will have Niamh Cusack climbing all over you towards the end. They use the auditorium to enter and exit as well as the stage, too.

The use of the back wall is pretty special, too. I won't give anything away but the way it's used in the London sequence is just glorious. And the side walls are used to make the movement sequences even more physical than they were previously. Luke Treadaway really is just astonishing in the lead role. The new cast members are very good too. The response at the curtain call was immense. Loved it.

One thing though. They still aren't doing the post curtain call maths question explanation, despite the reference remaining in the play itself. Does anyone know if it's just tech issues or if they've decided to cut it for the transfer?

#166 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

View Postkjb, on 07 March 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

I dayseated this morning. I got there at 8am and started the queue. (Next door, The Audience had 6 people in the queue at 8am) I was on my own until 9.15 when another couple arrived. At 10am it was still only the 3 of us.

I was really surprised it wasn't busier early on.

At the evening show, all day seats had been bought though.

(I popped to the Box Office at 7.15 to ask them a question, and someone collecting their tickets for in the Gods somewhere had been upgraded to the back of the stalls)

Thanks for this! Where are the day seats located and how much did you pay?

#167 kjb

kjb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:27 AM

Canadian Turtle - day seats are front row stalls and are 12.

#168 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Excellent, thanks so much kjb! Will definitely have to day seat show soon and hope the stage is not too high for me (I'm quite short) :)

#169 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

Good to hear they've dropped it from the originally advertised £25.

#170 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:33 AM

Agreed. I did notice the £12 on the site yesterday but thought it may be an error so glad to now see it confirmed from someone who actually went.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users