275 replies to this topic

#51 kjb

kjb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

There are some RV tickets available for tonight, tomorrow and Monday at the moment on the website.....

Edited to add:  some tickets available now for most dates throughout the run. Go get them while you can.

#52 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

Tickets available for this in case people missed out. Early indications good...reviews
around by thereoughttobeclowns and webcowgirl.
B)

#53 Bambodoy

Bambodoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

A real triumph. Touchingly honest and utterly beautiful on every level. Luke Treadaway gives a bloody brilliant performance.
2011-2012 THEATRE

WEST END: End of the Rainbow (Trafalgar Studios), Legally Blonde (Savoy Theatre), Love Never Dies (Adelphi Theatre), Children's Hour (Comedy Theatre), Top Girls (Trafalgar Studios), Richard III (Old Vic), The Tempest (Theatre Royal Haymarket), The Faith Machine (Royal Court), We Will Rock You (Dominion Theatre), The Kitchen (National Theatre), War Horse (New London Theatre), Death and the Maiden (Harold Pinter Theatre), Jumpy (Royal Court), 13 (National Theatre), Collaborators (National Theatre), Jerusalem (Apollo Theatre), Driving Miss Daisy (Wyndham's Theatre), Ghost (Piccadilly Theatre), Grief (National Theatre), The Comedy of Errors (National Theatre), Travelling Light (National Theatre), She Stoops to Conquer (National Theatre), In Basildon (Royal Court), Absent Friends (Harold Pinter Theatre), Matilda the Musical (Cambridge Theatre), Gross und Klein (Barbican), One Man Two Guvnors (Theatre Royal Haymarket), Moon on a Rainbow Shawl (National Theatre), Belong (Royal Court), Misterman (National Theatre), Detroit (National Theatre), The Last of the Haussmans (National Theatre), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (National Theatre).

OFF-WEST END: Becky Shaw (Almeida Theatre), Tiger Country (Hampstead Theatre), Small Hours (Hampstead Theatre), My City (Almeida Theatre), Anna Christie (Donmar Warehouse), Inadmissible Evidence (Donmar Warehouse), Reasons to be Pretty (Almeida Theatre), The Kitchen Sink (Bush Theatre), Stones in his Pockets (Tricycle), Hamlet (Young Vic), Our New Girl (Bush Theatre), Richard II (Donmar Warehouse), The Recruiting Officer (Donmar Warehouse), Bingo (Young Vic), Black T-Shirt Collection (National Theatre), Love Love Love (Royal Court), Filumena (Almeida Theatre), Making Noise Quietly (Donmar Warehouse), Children's Children (Almeida Theatre), The Physicists (Donmar Warehouse), Birthday (Royal Court).

UPCOMING: London Road (National Theatre), The Doctor's Dilemma (National Theatre), The Count of Monte Cristo (National Theatre).

Follow me on Twitter: @Bambodoy

#54 Theatresquirrel

Theatresquirrel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

Well, sorry to be the first voice of dissent, but I didn't think it was very good at all.

When you compare the stagecraft, physicality and use of projection here compared with what Complicite did earlier this year at the Barbican, the NT is disappointingly far behind. This might have looked and felt fresh in 2005, but to me, its production values were more in keeping with something you'd encounter these days on the Edinburgh Fringe.

I also found the teacher sanctimonious and winsome; like a Xerox of the equivalent character in Matilda but with less actual worth, and not even having the latter's nice songs to endear her.

Hopefully I'll be the only person who feels this, but the whole thing was a massive disappointment.

#55 paultheatre

paultheatre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

Theatresquirrel, I went last night, and have to agree.  Had heard storming things, but sat there completely unengaged and disappointed.  I can't put my finger on what went wrong.  My friend and I did feel the whole production was a bit patronising towards the audience, not allowing us to discover enough.  The physical theatre elements just didn't fit in, playing on Tetris aside, and the "animals"...added to the feeling it was DESPERATE to please and to be a hit.  In photos, it will look AMAZING.  But sitting there, I just got more and more infuriated and bored.  Having said this, there were whoops and cheers at the end...

#56 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

I love a show that gets marmite reactions :)

Seeing this in a few weeks.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#57 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:46 PM

The original novel is raved about by multitudes. It would be interesting to know whether posters have read it and how they rate it.

#58 paultheatre

paultheatre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:14 PM

Had read it, and really enjoyed it, so was surprised to not enjoy it.  Looking around the audience it felt SLIGHTLY like an audience that had all read the book, and were looking on, not in a "what comes next" way, but more in a "I love this bit...ahhh this bit" way.

It is already a sold-out hit though.  The reviews will be brilliant for it.  The target market/fans of the book are too strong an audience.

#59 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:31 PM

I didn't book. Yes read the book. Liked it. But I assumed it would be for children sort of. Can't think why. Anyway I won't fret now I've read your comments.

#60 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

I read the book, but can't remember a thing about it.  Is my memory particularly bad or are there others who forget the actual content of books/plays/films, etc, fairly soon afterwards?  I do retain a general impression, i.e. I liked it/I didn't like it, but that's about all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users