275 replies to this topic

#91 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

But he can still do the matinee tomorrow, yet not the evening?

#92 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

It seems that Alan Bennett's People has slipped a couple of weeks, so there are nine new additional performances of Scenes from an Execution from 17 to 24 October, when People was originally due to preview, and the six planned SfaE performances from 2 to 6 Nov have been replaced by the previews of People.

#93 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

View PostLatecomer, on 31 August 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

Luke Treadaway injured.

Couldn't twin Harry pick it up in no time? Don't twins have extra-sensory powers so they can do stuff like that? Or is that what's been injured?

#94 Dragononmyback

Dragononmyback

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

I was there for the matinee on Saturday . If Luke is injured it was not noticable.

I read the book a few years ago and loved it. This play is equally good. I loved it. Very well designed, great acting  and does the book proud. I would recommed it to anyone. Probably the best new play I have seen in quite a long time. It deserves a much longer run.

#95 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed the NT live showing. Full cinema(only a small screen though) variety of ages.
Thought it quite stunning, especially the tubes and trains.

#96 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

I saw it again tonight, this time on screen. An odd experience. (My first NT Live, I should add). I loved the show when I first saw it (play of 2012 thus far for me). That said, the first half tonight left me cold- superbly acted, but I felt the camera work was poor, and incredibly dark... maybe it was just my local cinema. The astronaut and trains around the auditorium scenes were not v well filmed. So not keen in the interval- I was annoyed that they had not done this piece justice. Act 2 however was much much better- not only because it is the stronger act, but filming was clearer and better cutting between shots. It reminded me why I loved it so much in the first place. Luke Treadaway is astonishing.

I noticed they changed the grade he aims for in A Level Maths from A to A*. I thought it was odd that they referred to the top grade as A when I first saw it.

#97 young offender

young offender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:21 AM

Baz Bamigboye reports that the NT is in discussion with West End houses about a transfer - but there are concerns that the design and special effects may not fit comfortably. I have not seen the show yet, but I can't believe this is insurmountable. Any suggestions of where it could go?

#98 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 06 September 2012 - 10:51 PM, said:

I noticed they changed the grade he aims for in A Level Maths from A to A*. I thought it was odd that they referred to the top grade as A when I first saw it.

*Geek Info Alert* I would imagine that this is because when the original novel was written, A* grades were not available at A Level. If it was adapted from the original text then they would probably have kept that. As I believe the play is set in the present day, they must have updated it to reflect the changes in the system.

#99 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

Yes, that's true, but when they referred to 2011 postmark in the letter scene, it jarred with me. But it's all sorted now!

#100 zyx123

zyx123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

Saw the NT Live screening, and really liked it. Agree with the point above, I thought the camera work was pretty bad. Couldn't help feeling how much better it would be, being sat in the theatre. Full screening where I saw it in a 300 seat cinema, amazed how many people just walked out while he was doing the mathematical proof.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users