102 replies to this topic

#1 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

Loved it. Tom Chambers charming and Summer Strallen [ is that her real name?] very good. Everyone else good too. Sets etc all good. A jolly evening. Left humming the music of course. Bit of a standing ovation for those of us on the other thread who are concerned about these things.

#2 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:22 PM

I walked past this theatre on my way to Duchess (Written on the Hearts), and the pavement was packed with coach loads of pensioners.  For me, it's a lovely sight that elderly people are getting about and enjoying themselves at a musical.I would like to go to see the show myself when/if lastminute.com or someone starts selling discount tickets.

#3 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:44 AM

View PostLynette, on 21 April 2012 - 10:27 PM, said:

Loved it. Tom Chambers charming and Summer Strallen [ is that her real name?] very good.

It is indeed and she has a sister called Scarlett with a identical career path. Since Bonnie Langford is their aunt I assume it's a theatrical thing

#4 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 22 April 2012 - 05:44 AM, said:

<br />It is indeed and she has a sister called Scarlett with a identical career path. Since Bonnie Langford is their aunt I assume it's a theatrical thing<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Their other sisters are also making their way in the industry too.  Top Hat was the first thing I've seen I liked Summer in, she's never bad but I have trouble warming to her.  Scarlett however is perfection and so elegant a performer. She is currently in Singin In The Rain

#5 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:41 AM

Yes, several sisters: Scarlett, Summer, Zizi and Saskia. I thought this was mediocre at best when I saw it on tour. I guess, they must have changed a few things since then.

#6 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

I saw it on tour and really enjoyed it, a touh too long but a good night out

#7 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:03 AM

How's Ricardo?? :)

I've never seen Summer perform before, but I love Scarlett and Zizi.

I can wait to see this, so you know if they do day seats? The last thing I saw at the Aldwych (Midnight Tango) did.

#8 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Ricardo received the loudest cheer at curtain call, Cat. and well deserved.

I wouldn't call this 'mediocre' by a long way, Pharoah. I'm pretty honest about such things. I think a lot must depend on whether you like , in my case, love, the actual music. The plot is a joke and the characters all hammy anyway so if you weren't brought up on the Astaire/Rogers movies and taught the songs from the cradle, then it might be a struggle to see the point. But they do really make a good crack at it.

As for the old ladies in the charabancs - well, we know a good thing when we see one and it beats taking the tablets.

#9 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

I saw it on tour Lynette- things may have changed. Summer was excellent as always. But I thought it looked a bit cheap, some of the acting pathetic, and was not slick at all. Maybe it's because I saw the first performance at that venue and so they hadn't 'settled in' yet. I don't know. I knew (and liked) quite a few of the songs- yes the plot is hammy, but that's the case with quite a few musicals, isn't it? I just thought it could have been so much better (which it probably now is, since they've re-worked it a bit).

#10 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3387 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

I'm geniunly surprised you used the word cheap. I thought the sets and costumes were West end standard and by far the best id seen in a touring show for a long time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users