102 replies to this topic

#11 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

I'm dying to see this. Does anyone know if they are doing day seats. (times is 'ard).
www.frontrowdress.com

#12 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

It all looked very worn, and the (presumably printed) backdrops such as Venice, the park and the plane were creased and wonky. The main distraction for me was the follow-spotting which was awful, but I suspect that was because it was the first night at the venue I saw it. It's not a terrble show- just in my view not a particularly great one either.But as I keep on saying, I suspect it's improved quite a bit now that it's toured more, and had a proper get in and tech at the Aldwych (unlike  loading in and performing that night, as sometimes happens on tour).

#13 harveyjnr

harveyjnr

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

i felt it lacked LIFE when i went to see it on friday. its a good show. i loved the movie. but i don't think any one performance was particularly memorable!having said that the group routines and numbers involving the whole company were very tight. and delivered to a very high standard.i just didn't find the individual performances very entertaining.glad i saw it though, this marks the 4th 1930's themed musical i've seen this year!!

#14 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3364 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

Fair enough although I saw it like yourself (first night in a touring venue)

#15 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:11 PM

Which venue was it? I saw it at the Marlowe in Canterbury, which had only just opened (after a several year re-build), which may explain for some of the faults. Who knows?

#16 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

The aeroplane was a hoot! Inside, one of the best jokes and the 'landing' just funny.

#17 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

I did see Top Hat at the Mayflower. I know that this is a touring production, but this was one of the few times  that I could not help thinking that they were using the same set for a lot of the scenes, especially after the characters travelled to another country.

I also wished that they had used more of the stage, particularly during the dance at the end of Act 1. It was great but the size of the set made the dance routine look bunched up at times

However the musical is a ball of a time. I always enjoy these musicals where the plot would turn into a complete farce.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#18 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3364 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

I saw it at the mayflower in Southampton

#19 tony hotel

tony hotel

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

Saw it last night - Saturday. Firstly at the moment there are no day seats/standby/concessions.
Ovarall was dissapointed and think it needs some changes. The show peaks in the first 15 minutes and at act one finale. "Top Hat" should be finale of act 2 not act 1 or at least reprise it. LOT more discipline needed in set tap numbers - poor liason between some chorus members. Did not get the wow factor and despite an enthusiastic audience there was not a standing ovation. A few did stand but only a few. Last 20 minures drags and needs cutting by 10 minutes. Forecast 3 star reviews.

#20 londontheatrefan

londontheatrefan

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

Completley agree with Tony Hotel and Paraoh's Number Two.  It wasn't awful, I just don't think it was great. For expensive tickets I wouldn't shout about it to anyone or try and convince people to see it. Fell a bit flat to me after seeing SITR.  I was one of the youngest in the audience by far, but the older bus groups were lapping it up. I will be really interested to see what critics say - has it not been press night already? I found one review online that wasn't so positive: http://www.cheapthea...op-hat/#reviews so will see when they come rolling in.

Totally agree with your comments on it looking cheap - the set did nothing at all for me. The painted backdrops felt a bit old hat and added very little. I thought we had gone passed that stage in the WE?

Let's see how long the coach groups can keep it alive!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users