• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#31 _cm337

_cm337

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

I am going to see this tomorrow and was just wondering what merch is available to buy at the theatre? Any posters at all? Sorry if it's already been asked :)

#32 Azincat

Azincat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

Pleased to see that this production got decent reviews in the press.  I saw the show a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed the evening alhough it perhaps lacked that certain spark that would make it truly great.

Like a number of other posters, I thought the supporting cast were the strength of the show - I loved Martin Ball and Vivian Parry as the Hardwicks, particularly their duet, and Stephen Boswell was a hoot as the butler.  I thought Ricardo Afonso was maybe a little OTT as the Italian, Beddini but he certainly went down a storm with the audience.  Tom Chambers was fine in the Astaire role and his enthusiasm was endearing.  The only cast member I wasn't too keen on was Summer Strallen as Dale Tremont.  She looked lovely in the fifties costumes and danced well but I disliked her voice which was very nasal and she came across as rather cold - maybe a problem with the character she was playing rather than her acting.

All in all a good evening at the theatre.  It'll be interesting to see if Top Hat can hold on for longer than Crazy for You.

#33 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

Are there any dayseats/student discounts for this show?
WEST END: Wicked X80 | Billy Elliot X91 | Singin' In The Rain X25 | Avenue Q X16 | Legally Blonde X27 | Matilda X5 | The Lion King X5 | Sound of Music X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X2 | We Will Rock You X4 | The 39 Steps X15 | Oliver X3 | Chicago X2 | Mamma Mia! X7 |  Hair X3 | Ghost Stories X1 | Jersey Boys X7 | Enron X1 | Blood Brothers X3 | All The Fun of the Fair X1 | Phantom of the Opera X5 | Flashdance X3 | Stomp X1 | Grease The Musical X3 | Sweet Charity X2 | The Woman In Black X2 | Priscilla X2 | Dreamboats and Petticoats X1 | The Glass Menagerie X1 | Love Never Dies X2 | Wizard of Oz X3 | Deathtrap X1 | Sister Act X5 | Love Story X2 | Ordinary Days X1 | End of the Rainbow X1 | Umbrellas of Cherbourg X3 | Flare Path X1 | Spelling Bee X1 | Shrek X7 | Thrill Me X1 | Lend Me A Tenor X2 | Ghost X3 | Betty Blue Eyes X1 | Rock of Ages X3 | Master Class X1 | One Man, Two Guv'nors X2 | Pitmen Painters X1 | Soho Cinders X2 | Spamalot x3 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Volcano X1 | Loserville X6 | Good Night Mr. Tom X1 | Scrooge X1 | Once X2 | A Chorus Line X5 | Curious Incident X2 | Beautiful Thing X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | A Midsummer Night's Dream X2 | Book of Mormon X2 | From Here To Eternity X1 | Stephen Ward X1 | The Commitments X1 | I Can't Sing X2 | Dirty Rotten Scoundrels X1 | The Duck House X1

FRINGE: Smokey Joe's Cafe X1 | Tomorrow Morning X3 | Company X1 | The Kissing Dance X2 | Road Show X1 | Crazy For You X1 | The Belle's Stratagem X3 | Pippin X1 | Kissing Sid James X1 | Mack & Mabel X1 | Taboo X1 | Victor/Victoria X1 | Bully Boy X1 | Daddy Long Legs X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | Lift X4 | Payback the Musical X1 | Candide X1 | The A to Z of Mrs P X1

BROADWAY: Wicked X1 | Newsies X1 | Annie X1

ON TOUR: Les Miserables (Barbican) X1 | Evita (Wimbledon) X1 | Annie (Woking) X1 | Hairspray (Woking) X1 | Avenue Q (Bromley) X2 | Avenue Q (Richmond) X2 | Avenue Q (Woking) X2 | Avenue Q (High Wycombe) X2 | Avenue Q (Southampton) X1 | Avenue Q (Milton Keynes) X1 | Avenue Q (Salford) X1 | Avenue Q (Cardiff) X1 | Avenue Q (Belfast) X1 | Avenue Q (Northampton) X2 | Jekyll & Hyde (Woking) X1 | Legally Blonde (Bristol) X2 | Legally Blonde (York) X1 | Legally Blonde (Glasgow) X1 | Legally Blonde (Edinburgh) X1 | Sister Act (Oxford) X1 | Legally Blonde (Wimbledon) X1 | Rent 20th Anniversary Concert X5 | West Side Story X1 | Wicked X10 | Seven Brides for Seven Brothers X1 | Fiddler on the Roof X1 | Fame X1 | Tonight's The Night X1

CHICHESTER: She Loves Me X3

OPEN AIR THEATRE: Crazy For You X1, Sound of Music X1

NATIONAL THEATRE: Welcome To Thebes X1 | London Road X1 | Curious Incident X1 | The Light Princess X1

OTHER: Vampirette (Manchester) X2, Loserville (Leeds) X1

#34 ToToDo

ToToDo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

I'm seeing this next week and am genuinely excited for it.  I've been told "it is what it is...sit back and enjoy" and frankly that sounds like good advice: I'm not expecting to be challenged intellectually but I suspect I'm going to have a terrifically entertaining night in the theatre!

#35 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

View PostToToDo, on 26 May 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

I'm seeing this next week and am genuinely excited for it.  I've been told "it is what it is...sit back and enjoy" and frankly that sounds like good advice: I'm not expecting to be challenged intellectually but I suspect I'm going to have a terrifically entertaining night in the theatre!

I would say that is a great attitude to have towards it! I saw the matinee today and was thoroughly entertained, even if some of the audience were a little badly behaved. I saw it on tour but thought it worked well in the Aldwych. It's not really challenging but it is good fun and the ensemble are fantastic.

There were quite a few empty seats in the stalls here and there, and I don't think they're doing dayseats but not sure about student discounts. Even the access rate (which I take advantage of as a disabled theatregoer) is the highest I've had to pay in the West End.

Some posters here haven't liked the set very much either but I quite enjoyed its simplicity. I'm not sure this will run and run but I'm glad it made it to the West End and I definitely enjoyed it.

#36 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3399 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

This has potential to do well with American tourists over the summer. The film is quite popular over there and some of my American friends have said how it would make a great stage show and would love to see it. Wouldn't surprise me if it tours the states once done in the uk

#37 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

anyone know of any midweek discounts for this? many thanks :-)

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#38 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

There are no day seats or student discounts for this. Cheapest offer is around 40. Too expensive. Not surprised there are lots of empty seats! Plenty of other shows I can go see instead of this that do day seats or discounts.

#39 Lady Nijo

Lady Nijo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:00 PM

No day seats? Why on earth not?

#40 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:48 AM

You could buy a ticket on the day for one of the empty seats. That would be a day seat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users