102 replies to this topic

#41 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:07 AM

Day seat means a full price seat for between around £10 and £25 purchased on the day. Not the purchase of a full price ticket in the box office! :rolleyes:

#42 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

Well, if more than one in three of the people forlornly holding out for the chance of a day seat buy a standard price ticket instead, the ticket income is greater! It seems sensible to me to encourage audiences to pay standard prices until offering bargains late in a struggling run.

#43 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

No day seats and no discounts.  They were asking 62 pounds for seats yesterday at the TKTS booth!  Full price.  And yet we're told there were acres of empty seats even on its opening night.  I'm sure the producers had a strategy but it was clearly the wrong one.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#44 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

Until I can get a full price seat for 25 or less they can keep their empty seats. And why not offer a standby rate? What use is an empty seat to them? Surely 25 is better than nothing?

#45 wls250

wls250

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

Not sure what everyone’s saying about no standby rate. Was offered premium seats 2 weeks ago for £37.50 and got Row D in the stalls for £35 for yesterday’s mat.
There were probably a good 200 seats free in the theatre.
It was a really good show which I enjoyed, probably won't rush back as not a big fan of shows with a heavy dance influence, however thoroughly enjoyed.

#46 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1213 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

Presumably the lack of day seats and offers is to give the impression to the casual theatre goer that this show is a sell out smash hit with no need for discounting. I dont think it fools anyone though. There are so many seats to be filled nightly in the WE that unless it is a genuine hit with a limited run (One Man Two Guvnors with James Cordon is the only recent one to spring to mind) seats are usually available at all prices, and yes savvy producers realise that £25 is better than nothing and that many people simply will not go at £60 plus a seat!

#47 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

View Postwickedgrin, on 04 June 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

Presumably the lack of day seats and offers is to give the impression to the casual theatre goer that this show is a sell out smash hit with no need for discounting. I dont think it fools anyone though. There are so many seats to be filled nightly in the WE that unless it is a genuine hit with a limited run (One Man Two Guvnors with James Cordon is the only recent one to spring to mind) seats are usually available at all prices, and yes savvy producers realise that £25 is better than nothing and that many people simply will not go at £60 plus a seat!

"savvy producers" - you really don't know what you are talking about, "discounting" and "over-pricing"  is what is killing the West End!

#48 Lover

Lover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:04 AM

Its hard to say what really is "Killing" the West End. I don't think its as simple as "discounting" and "over-pricing"

There are MANY factors to be taken into account these days for the costs of shows and reasons why they are empty.

Unemployment, theatre location, travel availability, cost of travel. . the list goes on.

To be fair, its the same as food. Go to the supermarket, the day before the food goes off, its discounted to at least try and match costs or at least a minute profit.

Is that savvy? Not really its business sense.

The biggest problem, is people are starting to believe that standby rates are the norm. That i agree is an issue. Some of these shows are so expensive to produce and run. The last tour i did, the basic weekly running costs was nearly 6 figures, just to keep the show running and pay costs, licenses etc. Its an expensive business, and these days, every penny counts. !

#49 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:58 AM

View PostLover, on 05 June 2012 - 02:04 AM, said:

Its hard to say what really is "Killing" the West End. I don't think its as simple as "discounting" and "over-pricing"

There are MANY factors to be taken into account these days for the costs of shows and reasons why they are empty.

Unemployment, theatre location, travel availability, cost of travel. . the list goes on.

To be fair, its the same as food. Go to the supermarket, the day before the food goes off, its discounted to at least try and match costs or at least a minute profit.

Is that savvy? Not really its business sense.

The biggest problem, is people are starting to believe that standby rates are the norm. That i agree is an issue. Some of these shows are so expensive to produce and run. The last tour i did, the basic weekly running costs was nearly 6 figures, just to keep the show running and pay costs, licenses etc. Its an expensive business, and these days, every penny counts. !

Some really good points, the main reason however that most shows that don't work is that they aren't very good.

Still, the minute producers started  randomly raising prices and again made theatre elitist, resulting in having to discount to get an audience in, was the time the West End was badly damaged

Please do remember that 'discounting' is a business in itself, advertising and marketing agencies have got rich on it and that's even before you get to the profits made out of these 'sales' by ticket agents And some of these ticket agents are owned by theatre owners

Many people are to blame and the result is a West End that is 'greedy' rather than 'Exciting', 'Inspired' and 'Theatrical'

#50 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1014 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:29 AM

Rumours on the Broadwayworld forum that this will be posting closing soon...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users