102 replies to this topic

#91 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

Our episode with Martin Ball (one of our presenters) who plays Horace Hardwick in Top Hat.  It's a fun listen!
MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast
http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk

#92 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

i turned up an hour before curtain yesterday afternoon and was given excellent seats in row e of the stalls for 45 squid. the lady at the box office said they don't do day seats as such but was quick to offer us reduced price tickets. i got the impression they do this a lot ... the stalls looked about 95% full

I can confirm the front of the stage is low

the book is tedious but i still loved the show. brilliant songs, great dancing, very funny. elegant and decadent sets but perhaps better suited for a play? for this kind of show i wanted staircases that light up and giant revolving top hats holding 10 or so hoofers!

8 out of 10

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#93 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:56 AM

I think the sets are "minimal" *even though they're far from that) because it was a touring show originally.

#94 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

On the contrary I think the sets are cumbersome.

#95 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

I do think the set restricted the amount of stage they could have used for the dance numbers.

Also, whilst this is a touring production, I cannot remember the last time I thought that a production was clearly using the same set until I saw this
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#96 Lady Nijo

Lady Nijo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:15 PM

45 squid is still alot for what is essentially a last minute seat, albeit in row E. (I have not-so-fond memories of sitting in row E at that theatre for the first act of Cool Hand Luke at a MUCH lower cost!) But I guess if they don't need to offer day seats, good luck to them. But I really want to see the show! Have to say, on first hearing that the show would be coming in to the West End I thought this would have closed by now so am impressed that it's still going. Must be good!

#97 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

I disgree, i thought the set was very good and stylish, but i do understand the comparison to a play set

#98 MusicalTalk

MusicalTalk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

They've added stuff to the set for the London show.  Problem with the theatre is there's little to no wing space at all!  

It's a very fun show; really proves what a charming songwriter Irving was - especially as English wasn't his first language!

The show's doing so well because the matinee crowd really flock to it - hence why there are no 3 matinees a week; evening tickets are easy to come by and matinee ones are not so much! This one's a stayer.

#99 strallenfan

strallenfan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

Summer and Tom are leaving the show at the beginning of November.

#100 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

Yes I am amazed at how long this show has lasted. Perhaps not heavily discounting has paid off ( it's rarely available at TKTS for example) and at least if it isn't full in the evenings the gross is being kept up by people paying full prices. Hope this trend does not take off - I only every buy "discounted" seats!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users