75 replies to this topic

#1 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

There's a thread about the new Globe season somewhere but I think the 37 plays in 37 languages thingy deserves it's own thead. The Guardian gave the Maori Troilus and Cressida a four star  review - did anyone see it? I wonder whether they'll regret the 'no surtitles' decision.

http://www.guardian....w?newsfeed=true

I'm seeing a few but I'm only brave enough to see plays I know well - anyone venturing to Pericles in Greek or Two Gentlemen of Verona in Shona?

#2 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

Anyone know how the tickets are selling for this season?

#3 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Patchy - from what I have heard

BSL Love's Labour's Lost is close to selling out - others not so much...

#4 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

The weather can't be helping.

#5 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:13 PM

There's currently only about 60 seats left for Troilus and Cressida and 80 standing. Some are nearly sold out (notably Merchant of Venice :lol:) My guess is that word will get out for those with a local target audience - they're cunningly doing every show on two conesecutive days.

I'm seeing Measure for Measure tomorrow so I'll let you know.

#6 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

The Venus and Adonis was ridiculously beautiful, and I enjoyed the Troilus and Cressida a great deal(also I think I understood it in Maori better than the first time I saw it in English XD). I think brief scene synopses rather than full dialogue surtitles are a MUCH better idea. I'm a reader, which means if there are surtitles, I feel compelled to read them. Also, having stood in front of two ladies at T&C last night, one of whom needed the scene synopses translated for her, I can't even begin to imagine the horror of a theatre stuffed with people who feel compelled to translate Every. Last. Word. O_O I'm terrifically excited about the rest of the season (the ones I'm seeing, anyway)! :D Also, Othello COMPLETELY sold out, but given that Hip-Hop is less a language and more an English dialect, that's to be expected.
Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#7 Weez

Weez

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2632 posts
  • Interests:Theatre. :D

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

I think the yard tickets at least will sell suprisingly well close to performance times to foreign audience members. Many of them don't see the Globe as a theatre so much as a tourist experience to be "done", and if their understanding of English is limited, then an Armenian King John will be just as coherent to them as an English one will. The seats will be the tricky sell, and that's a shame, because they bring in so much more money than yard spaces.
Notes from the Earlham Street Gutter
http://earlhamstreet...r.blogspot.com/

#8 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

Measure for Measure was certainly a treat (and Michael Billington thought so too - http://www.guardian....w?newsfeed=true). It was more or less full (at least I didn't notice if the top but was occupied but I didn't see many empty seats in the lower 2 sections) and there were plenty of Russians around. I think you have to accept that you're not going to follow the nuances and I never worked out who some of the minor characters in the brothel sub-plot were but it's an interesting experience. And I think Weez is right about it attracting tourists - there was a fair amount of translation of the surtitles going on (which didn't distract me as it's only one sentence per scene but then I'm not very sensitive abotu that sort of thing).

I'd say definitely try one - it's an experience you won't forget. If you get confused you can always check the text on your Kindle! (no backlight allowed, obviously!)

#9 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

Despite the distractingly awful weather, I found Richard III genuinely fascinating. And I also find it fascinating that Weez and I seem to be the only Wossers seeing any of these. Which is a real shame...

#10 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

I'm seeing a number of them, the Korean 'Midsummer Night's Dream' up next. I desperately want to see the Polish Macbeth but the dates don't work for me.

This is shaping up to be one of those events that people will talk about for a long, long time. I was thinking how nice it would be if the Globe had just a week like this every year or two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users