#41 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 19 October 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

You'd get a much better, more appreciative and engaged audience if the people who go "because it's the Donmar" were to f*** off, to be replaced by people with a genuine interest in seeing the particular show.

By "genuine interest in seeing the particular show", I assume you mean genuine interest in the play. If I were to book only plays whose subject matter I had a genuine interest in, I would see very little indeed. But by being open, and seeing as much as I can, which inevitably includes near everything at the Donmar, the National, The Royal Court (Downstairs at least), I discover plays, and subject matters, which I never thought I'd like, or never even knew of. Take The Last of the Duchess at the Hampstead for example, or the current Scenes from an Execution at the National, or The Physicists at the Donmar- all plays I knew little/nothing about, all plays which I greatly enjoyed and gained from.  Berenice in this case turned out not to be one of those, but was I to know before hand? I'd never seen a Racine play before. However that's not to say I didn't get anything out of it.

#42 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

It's not just subject matter. Some people might be interested in Racine in particular and others may like to expose themselves to major classical plays from past cultures, or to French culture especially. Alan Hollinghurst has his own large community of readers. Other people are drawn to certain actors or directors or designers or aesthetics. Theatre works best when an audience gathers for a whole range of different individual reasons of genuine interest, and one person's particular attention can often be noticed by their neighbour who wouldn't otherwise have been aware of that aspect of the show.

The opposite type of audience is one which attends just because "it's the Donmar" and greets Berenice with the comment that it's not as funny as that Spelling Bee thing but they prefer not to sit in those tip-up seats.

If you found Scenes from an Execution absorbing, you might seek out the next production by the Wrestling School, Howard Barker's own company, to find out what he's interested in doing twenty five years on. Or you may well have resolved to see Fiona Shaw on stage again often. Others will have decided just to return to the Lyttelton because they could just hop off the 68 bus and they liked the espresso bar.

#43 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

So do you think there should be some sort of exam before people book tickets, to ensure they are attending for the right reason?
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#44 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:13 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 19 October 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

It's not just subject matter. Some people might be interested in Racine in particular and others may like to expose themselves to major classical plays from past cultures, or to French culture especially. Alan Hollinghurst has his own large community of readers. Other people are drawn to certain actors or directors or designers or aesthetics. Theatre works best when an audience gathers for a whole range of different individual reasons of genuine interest, and one person's particular attention can often be noticed by their neighbour who wouldn't otherwise have been aware of that aspect of the show.

The opposite type of audience is one which attends just because "it's the Donmar" and greets Berenice with the comment that it's not as funny as that Spelling Bee thing but they prefer not to sit in those tip-up seats.

I did go because "it's the Donmar", but I also went because it had Anne-Marie Duff (who I loved in Cause Celebre), it had a solid creative team, and as it turned out, the rest of the cast (who hadn't been announced when I booked) were good quality as well. But the Donmar always has good quality cast and creative teams anyway, so even if I didn't book up cos it was the Donmar, I'd still end up seeing pretty much everything there anyway :P

#45 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

I find the best audiences are often those freshest to the piece who know nothing....if the piece is good enough it will be AMAZING! Hence Hamlet with David Tennant was great as lots of people had not heard the lines before...and loved it. I find nothing more annoying than people who know the end of jokes and guffaw away BEFORE the punch line....or sit there smiling smugly. Theatre is there to be discovered! By everyone, not just the intellectual snobs!

#46 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 19 October 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

Theatre works best when an audience gathers for a whole range of different individual reasons of genuine interest,

Is being interested in theatre enough for you?

#47 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

So do you think there should be some sort of exam before people book tickets, to ensure they are attending for the right reason?
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#48 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

I def wouldn't pass then, I've been known to go as someone offers me a cheap seat and I think why not, shocking reason to go to the theatre ;)

#49 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1662 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Gasp! I am shocked! :o

#50 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

View Postxanderl, on 19 October 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

I'm not Michael Gove.

View Postxanderl, on 19 October 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

I'm not Michael Gove.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users