72 replies to this topic

#51 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

well whatever drew us to this play Latecomer and I weren't convinced, I spent quite a lot of time contemplating sandals whilst Latecomer worried that somebody would trip on those noisy stairs. We liked the falling sand and the fact that with all the movement of the seats we ended up facing the stage but the play didn't wow us which was rather disappointing.

#52 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:40 PM

How funny- I hadn't shifted my ticket from today to last Wednesday, we'd have had another of our Donmar meet-ups! :lol:

#53 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

Better than Polar Bears.....
Not sure why they couldn't have staged it as usual...stairs towards the back, mound of sand at back, extending forward....sure it would have worked. I worried about their footing in the sand the whole time....wouldn't have been so bad if sand was uniform across the stage but they sort of clambered around on it.....at dramatic moments! Lol! Still, gave me something to watch when I got bored with the words....
Lovely theatre chat with Beth and Peggs!

#54 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

I loved the set.   Frankly, I can't imagine a better production of this play.  I thought Anne-Marie Duff was absolutely magnificent - one of the great performances I've encountered in recent years - and Stephen Campbell Moore was right up there with her.  Their scenes together were superb.  Alas, Dominic Rowan was not at the same level so what could have been a powerful triangle didn't materialize.  Still, after some of the negative things I'd heard, it was a very pleasant surprise.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#55 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

I'm glad to hear that - I've got tickets for Friday and was contemplating giving them away.  I feel a bit nervy about the Donmar - I liked 'Philadelphia' but otherwise have been underwhelmed lately.  Am thinking of letting my membership lapse as it seems to encourage me to buy tickets for things I don't really want to see.

#56 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

View Postfoxa, on 29 October 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

Am thinking of letting my membership lapse as it seems to encourage me to buy tickets for things I don't really want to see.

Exactly! And to exclude people who would have liked to have seen things you don't really want to see.

#57 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

No problem still getting tickets for next few productions...and correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will) but didn't they have to put the prices down to £10 recently to sell all their tickets? After I had bought my expensive ticket?

All this talk about Donmar being always sold out is rubbish....if they are not careful their "new audience" will be non existent.

#58 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

Look further up in the thread- I said how there was a whole row empty, and MANY empty seats elsewhere when I saw Berenice. And nobody standing.

And you can still easily get tickets, including stalls, for the next season. The Donmar is not the ultra-hot ticket it was back in the Grandage years.

#59 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

I was at the Saturday matinee and I have to say it was packed - I saw two empty seats in the Circle.  I was one of those in the Stalls seated against the back wall facing the house - an interesting perspective, recommended if you can get it.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#60 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

I was at a Wednesday evening performance a couple of weeks back, for clarity's sake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users