#61 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Theatre (obviously), film, books, walking

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

There were spare seats at both of the last two shows at the Donmar I have been to - in one instance I had a ticket I wanted to return but there was no one waiting for returns.

#62 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

If there were some empty unsold seats, then no one was excluded who wanted to see it and could manage to attend at that time and afford a ticket. Good!

If it was sold out, then some people were effectively excluded by others who were there "because it's the Donmar" with no interest in the play. Bad!

#63 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Yes, perhaps people should take a sincerity of interest test before they purchase tickets. ;)

#64 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 29 October 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

If there were some empty unsold seats, then no one was excluded who wanted to see it and could manage to attend at that time and afford a ticket. Good!

If it was sold out, then some people were effectively excluded by others who were there "because it's the Donmar" with no interest in the play. Bad!

Or, if it were sold out, it's likely (choice of words deliberate - I don't presume to sit in judgement on the reasons every single audience member chose to be at a particular production) that some were there because it's the Donmar and they wanted to give a different genre/playwright they don't know/new play a go when they feel confident that it will be at least a competent production.  Good!

#65 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 29 October 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

So how many people here went 'because it's the donmar' but had no interest in the play? I like the donmar but i still only go to things i like the sound of and i can't believe there are loads of people who to go to everything regardless of whether they think they'll be something to like or not. Who are all these people and where are they getting all the time and money? Am not convinced by the logic of unsold seats equalling good either.

#66 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

Empty seats might mean Donmar regulars bought them then didn't bother turning up and are well heeled so didn't return the tickets.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#67 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

View Postpeggs, on 29 October 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

So how many people here went 'because it's the donmar' but had no interest in the play? I like the donmar but i still only go to things i like the sound of and i can't believe there are loads of people who to go to everything regardless of whether they think they'll be something to like or not. Who are all these people and where are they getting all the time and money?

Hello, I just book everything at places like the Donmar and I don't read a single thing about the production before I go in.  I mostly book £10 tickets at the Donmar and I don't have any children and I have a very understanding other half who is happy for me to spend a couple of nights a week out at the theatre.

I didn't know David Hare wrote Judas Kiss until after it finished last night and I actually thought it was a new play, didn't know it was a revival.  I like to go into things fresh and with an open mind.

You probably won't catch me at another Racine or Howard Barker play mind you...
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#68 foxa

foxa

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

Possibly because my expectations were low, I liked this more than I expected.  It's an odd play that is hard to love, but the performances are good (particularly Anne-Marie Duff, but Stephen Campbell Moore was strong too), the production elegant and the end was oddly pleasing.  Also quick (I reckon one hour 35 tonight)  A couple of scattered empty seats and I didn't spot a returns queue. A bit of a collector's item, I reckon.  Our seats were what would usually be on the stalls extreme side (B38/39) but the way the space has been reconfigured for this production they were perfect - felt like our sightlines couldn't have been better.

#69 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

The main  problem with this was Racine of course, his plays are always somewhat static, wordy and lack drama. However, I thought (again) that Joise Rourke's direction was worthy rather than insightful - I'm beginning to suspect that as a director she's simply not that remarkable. Plenty to enthuse the many afficionados of falling sand though.

#70 I'm Brian

I'm Brian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

I saw Berenice last night. I don't really understand why Alan Hollingshurst bothered translating this play-no drama, no plot, no anything. By the end I didn't care how it finished, this in spite of ann-marie duff's superb performance. But there was that article in the guardian a while back though, which told me it was a 'ravishing elegy'. (author A. Hollingshurst). so, should I be looking forward to the upcoming radical version of Julius Caesar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users