72 replies to this topic

#71 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

Thank you, I'm Brian, for flagging up Alan Hollinghurst's article explaining why and how he translated Berenice:

http://www.guardian....racine-berenice

#72 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

It is always worthwhile for subsidised theatres to revive Racine's plays occasionally as they are important in historical terms, but they all suffer from the same problems this one did. At least this translation didn't preserve the original rhyming verse as that adds another barrier to engaging with the play.

Maybe I should raise a small point about Ann-Marie Duff's performance - John Gielgud always used to be able to cry at will when on stage but he always regarded it as a somewhat cheap effect and was a little ashamed of himself for being able to - in any event, that ability alone should not be mistaken for great acting.

#73 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 26 November 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

Maybe I should raise a small point about Ann-Marie Duff's performance - John Gielgud always used to be able to cry at will when on stage but he always regarded it as a somewhat cheap effect and was a little ashamed of himself for being able to - in any event, that ability alone should not be mistaken for great acting.
Is this Duff's acting in general or just in this role? Now i would have been impressed by Gielgud, i'm always impressed by someone who can cry at will on stage, although I have always attributed it to them being well into the part they are playing as opposed to 'say the line, say the line and then cry'. I thought Duff was her usual superb self (in a play i was disappointed by) tears, or no tears.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users