Big Celebrities

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Olly 2288

Olly 2288

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Writing, film, photography, theatre, Joss Whedon.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

I thought I'd start a topic about which big celebrities are rumoured to be coming to the West End. I'm still a drama student at heart and love various theatre but I do love seeing the big celebrities come over. I've been lucky enough (as a fan!) to see the likes of Keira Knightley and Cate Blanchett in recent times which has been great, and I've heard rumours that Rachel Weisz (quite probably) and Kate Winslet (who knows?) are both taking on plays later this year / 2013.

Which A-listers have you heard are coming to London in the next couple of years? I'm ashamed to say, when money is tight it is the big names that often influence which productions I'll be book for that year!

And on a cool side note, which big stars have you seen performing in the West End / Broadway in your life? I find stories about people's theatre going and who they saw really interesting :)
When Harry Met Sally (Theatre Royal Haymarket, 2005), Some Girls (Gieldgud, 2005), Billy Elliot (Victoria Palace, 2006), Much Ado About Nothing (The Globe, 2006), Metamorphosis (Lyric, 2006), Awake and Sing! (Almeida, 2007), The Lion King (Lyceum, 2009), Antony and Cleopatra (Liverpool Playhouse, 2010), The Children's Hour (Comedy Theatre, 2011), In A Forest Dark And Deep (Vaudeville, 2011), Gross und Klein (Barbican, 2012)

#2 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Rachel Weisz was mesmerisingly good in the Donmar's 'Streetcar' several years back.  She is a great actress.
If Kate Winslet does the West End, I will be there.

#3 Olly 2288

Olly 2288

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Writing, film, photography, theatre, Joss Whedon.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:12 AM

Weisz is apparently lined for David Hare's revival of Plenty, which has meant to be on the cards for a couple of years but there seems to be a few rumblings of that coming to fruition now. And according to the London Theatre website, 'Michael Riedel for The New York Post reports Judi Dench has signed on to play an ageing Alice in Wonderland in a new play by John Logan, which will also star Ben Whishaw. Directed by Michael Grandage. He says the plan is to open the play, which is as yet untitled, in the West End and then ship it off to Broadway six months later.'Dench playing Alice is another Winslet situation - like you said, if it happens, I'm there!!
When Harry Met Sally (Theatre Royal Haymarket, 2005), Some Girls (Gieldgud, 2005), Billy Elliot (Victoria Palace, 2006), Much Ado About Nothing (The Globe, 2006), Metamorphosis (Lyric, 2006), Awake and Sing! (Almeida, 2007), The Lion King (Lyceum, 2009), Antony and Cleopatra (Liverpool Playhouse, 2010), The Children's Hour (Comedy Theatre, 2011), In A Forest Dark And Deep (Vaudeville, 2011), Gross und Klein (Barbican, 2012)

#4 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostJonnyBoy, on 28 April 2012 - 10:39 PM, said:

Rachel Weisz was mesmerisingly good in the Donmar's 'Streetcar' several years back.She is a great actress.If Kate Winslet does the West End, I will be there.
<br /><br />&quot;Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.&quot; Had me in tears. One of my best Donmar moments....<br /><br />Keira Knightly surprisingly good in Children's Hour. Enjoyed it far more than I expected, although the 5 pillar seat did help!<br /><br />Would love to see Kenneth Branagh again. Loved his Ivanov.<br /><br />Bring back Benedict Cumberbatch please, oh and David Tennant...in anything. I'm there!<br /><br />Ewan McGregor having great fun with Iago was also fab to watch....such fun with the stabbings!

#5 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

Sorry edited a damn spelling and the brs are back! I wish they would fix, it's driving me mad!

#6 Priscilla's heel

Priscilla's heel

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

A few years ago I was lucky enough to see my fave actor Joshua Jackson in A Life In The Theatre with Patrick Stewart, it was just a 2 hander play and they were both fabulous! Have also seen Ewan McGregor in Guys and Dolls. I would love to see in the future Ben Whishaw, Eddie Redmayne and Jude Law.

#7 peggy sue

peggy sue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

A couple of years ago I was in London to see another show and went to collect my tickets to see Three Days of Rain starring James McAvoy.  As I was walking away from the theatre James was coming towards me, I was so surprised and now wish I had stopped to say hello! On the night we went to the show it was Comic Relief and after the bows the cast made an announcement for their collections and Nigel Harmen dared James to do a handstand on stage, which he counted to see how long he could stay up. A great experience all round :-)

#8 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:28 AM

It'll never happen, but I'd love to see Julia Roberts give the west end a stab. I really want Maggie Smith back on stage too!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#9 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2535 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

Russell Grant

#10 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

Well, it was certainly worth the nearly 2 year wait for that joke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users