- - - - -

The King & I (Uk Tour, Leicester Curve Production)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

Apologies if there's already a thread for this, I couldn't find one.

Has anybody seen this production yet? I would be interested to hear your thoughts if you have. I went to Birmingham to see it and didnt even last until the interval before I left. I have enjoyed several of Josefina Gabrielle's previous roles, but here her talents are wasted on a poor production. It was just so slow and boring, with lots of pauses and dance interludes which didn't really add anything. Add to this some questionable acting and a mis-cast King in Ramon Tikaram and the whole thing felt like a fairly good amateur production but nothing more. The singing was excellent, but it was fairly quiet to be honest, and made me glad I was sitting near the front. I really wanted to like it, but was getting so bored of it that I had to leave, which I hardly ever do.

#2 Jamie Kenny

Jamie Kenny

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

Im going to see the show later this month in Dublin. It's one of my favourite musicals and am dissappointed to hear you waren't pleased about this production. How was the set?

#3 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:20 AM

There were 2 black screens which slid across while scenes were being changed, and 2 huge buddha statues at the side of the stage. Lanterns were lowered down at one point but it was very sparse. The orchestra are at the rear of the stage and the actors were often walking past them. There may have been more of a set later on but unfortunately I didn't stay long enough to find out.

#4 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

Paul Kerryson is rapidly joining John Doyle as a no-go-area for me - I simply do not like the style of his productions, and personally am amazed he still finds employment!

IMO his spectacularly mis-judged Pillowman is followed by a lame King & I, despite some good performances in each. The Buddhas (why two?) are overpowering and cramp the stage for the dances, there is some of the worst blocking (from a just off-centre stalls seat) seen in recent times, and pointless movement by both chorus and set. It is as if Kerryson thought "this looks a bit static lets move the hanging lights around a bit", instead of letting the performances dominate. I always find that the R&H dream / ballet sequences drag and the The Little House of Uncle Tom seemed to go on forever.

That said it has received some good press, and was sold out when I saw it in March, and the audience reaction was OK without being hugely enthusiastic. I saw it in Cardiff where "I am from a civilised land called Wales" got the best reaction of the night! Perhaps if you see it with lowered expectations you will enjoy it.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#5 Jamie Kenny

Jamie Kenny

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

Saw the final tour performance in Dublin tonight. The beginning of the show seemed to drag and I'll admit my mind wandered a tad but really got into it 20 minutes or so in. Josefina Gabrielle... all I can say is WOW. At first I found her Anna to be more stern as opposed to sweet (obviusly not to the King but to Louis) but the final few scenes , especially the confrontation after Shall We Dance was terriffic. Claire Marie Hall is one to watch. Fantastic perfomer. I quite liked the set though felt the band (who are in constant view) were often distracting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users