- - - - -

Should Links To Blogs Be Considered Spam And Therefore Banned/deleted?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3396 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

Maybe it's me but they are really annoying and purely self promotion to drive traffic to their own blogs and add nothing. There seems to be an increase in it lately whether it be 'reviews' or pointless polls. Just wondered others thoughts?

#2 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2094 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Yes. I agree - a post containing a link is fine but not when the post is just the link.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#3 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

View Postxanderl, on 05 May 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

Yes. I agree - a post containing a link is fine but not when the post is just the link.

Even that can be annoying when it's on every single thread and the only reason the poster posts is to advertise the blog.  Trying to hide it by actually making a comment related to the show the thread is about is just as bad as just posting the link.I have no problem with the occasional link to a blog where relevant, but not incessant advertising of polls and blogs or threads started specifically to promote a blog post.

#4 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

I wouldn't like to see it banned completely though as sometimes a link to a relevant review is interesting & pertinent to the show being discussed in a thread. Making a comment related to the discussion is not always "trying to hide" the promotion of a blog, sometimes it is a genuine point being made.
But I agree that those posts or threads that are purely of the type that say "read my blog here" can be irritating.

#5 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3396 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

Theres also one that's posts to their musical theatre news site/blog which more often than not just links to news that's already on the wos site.

#6 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

View Postfreckles, on 05 May 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

Making a comment related to the discussion is not always "trying to hide" the promotion of a blog, sometimes it is a genuine point being made.

I know, that's why I wouldn't want it banned completely either.  I was talking about a particular poster in the musicals forum who has promoted the same poll on the same blog in 10 different threads.

#7 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

It is very annoying as it is spamming to be repeatedly posting a link to a poll that is completely irrelevant and no one cares about!

#8 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

Fair enough, I have just been browsing some other threads & now know exactly what you are referring to!

#9 Viceroy

Viceroy

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

In this particular case I agree and have removed many of the links to the poll site. HOWEVER can you please NOT quote (and therefore repeat) the link within the threads as it increases our work removing the links.

#10 richard2711

richard2711

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

Will this deter the poster in this case? I've just checked the board for new responses, and many of them were along the lines of "Yes, this show is good. A member of the cast has been nominated for Least Pestigious Award in a Pointless Poll", etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users