28 replies to this topic

#11 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

Since I discovered Lyric Hammersmith with A Midsummer Night's Dream, which I saw twice (yes, it was that good!) I have grown fond of this smallish theatre. The last one I saw was Oedepussy which was hiralious!!

But Times critic gave it only 2 stars, but then he gaive the above mentioned Midsummer 2 stars also, I should not just beieve what critics say.  Sunday Times gave it 4 stars.

If the 50% off offer is still there, I would love to go to see it.  But I have one worry.  That is: What kind of films did David Lynch make? Are they very violent? I never watch violent anything if I can help it. (Last night, I saw ENO's The Flying Duchman and was quite disturbed by the gang-rape scene).

#12 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostSHk, on 13 May 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

Since I discovered Lyric Hammersmith with A Midsummer Night's Dream, which I saw twice (yes, it was that good!) I have grown fond of this smallish theatre. The last one I saw was Oedepussy which was hiralious!!

But Times critic gave it only 2 stars, but then he gaive the above mentioned Midsummer 2 stars also, I should not just beieve what critics say.  Sunday Times gave it 4 stars.

If the 50% off offer is still there, I would love to go to see it.  But I have one worry.  That is: What kind of films did David Lynch make? Are they very violent? I never watch violent anything if I can help it. (Last night, I saw ENO's The Flying Duchman and was quite disturbed by the gang-rape scene).

To tell you the truth I'd suggest you give this a miss them, there's some graphic stuff in there and what is implied is even worse.

#13 SHk

SHk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

Cardinal,  

Ah,,,, OK, so it's voilent, then. Thank you for the information.

#14 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Saw this the other day. Good, but too long by about 20 minutes. Theatre seemed about half full and quite a few didn't come back after the interval

"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#15 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

View Postxanderl, on 19 May 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

Saw this the other day. Good, but too long by about 20 minutes. Theatre seemed about half full and quite a few didn't come back after the interval

I didn't notice anyone not come back but it was only about half full when I saw it too. Agree it could do with being about 20 minutes shorter (not least as I could have caught the earlier train!).

#16 nikkiiianna

nikkiiianna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:20 PM

My review: http://nikkimusingsa...mersmith-5-may/

#17 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

What does it say?

#18 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

Now a year has passed, Three Kingdoms has settled as the theatre production I most regret missing last year. Please could I ask anyone who saw it and was really engaged by it to recommend something currently playing?

#19 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

Well, there's nothing to compare really, but I'm looking forward to Mission Drift at the NT Shed.

http://www.nationalt...s/mission-drift

(for a moment this thread's reappearance had me hoping there was going to be a Three Kingdoms revival!)

#20 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2096 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

I would make a random selection from the Royal Court's Weekly Rep season.

Or how about "Happy New" at the Trafalgar Studios 2.

Or if you want something which captures the same sense of bleakness and the futility of modern existence, "Viva Forever"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users