#21 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostCardinal Pirelli, on 25 May 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

Well, there's nothing to compare really, ...

If that's truly the case, it makes the range of available theatre looking a bit feeble, relatively speaking, don't you think?

Isn't there anything underground or unfunded which is vaguely in the same field?

Xanderl, I'm planning to see all six Open Court weekly rep plays, but I don't expect any to have much in common with Three Kingdoms. Maybe some of the Surprise Theatre, to be livestreamed and made available for online catchup, might?

#22 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 25 May 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

If that's truly the case, it makes the range of available theatre looking a bit feeble, relatively speaking, don't you think?

Isn't there anything underground or unfunded which is vaguely in the same field?

Xanderl, I'm planning to see all six Open Court weekly rep plays, but I don't expect any to have much in common with Three Kingdoms. Maybe some of the Surprise Theatre, to be livestreamed and made available for online catchup, might?

If you are in the mood then theatres such as the Schaubuhne in Berlin do occasional English surtitled performances. Thomas Ostermeier's production of 'The Seagull' is just about to open via Toneelgroep Amsterdam in Amsterdam with a surtitled performance near the end of June.

#23 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:05 AM

Simon Stephens will have two shows running in the West End shortly, and his episode of Playhouse Presents in on Sky Arts next week.

How about Belarus Free Theatre - Trash Cuisine at the Young Vic - http://www.youngvic....n/trash-cuisine - or their King Lear at the Globe.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#24 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

Thank you both for your suggestions. Toneelgroep Amsterdam will be at the Barbican in November with Scenes from a Marriage. I saw Belarus Free Theatre on tour last year in Minsk 2011 and would see Trash Cuisine if it tours near me. I enjoyed the recent revival of Simon Stephens' Port and might try the Royal Exchange premiere of his Blindsided in January, but Three Kingdoms was in a different part of his spectrum, wasn't it?

#25 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

The main differences are that Stephens told the director Nubling that 'Three Kingdoms' was a starting point and that he could take it wherever he wanted (a more continental attitude to the role of text) and that the production was a multinational effort, allowing for a really interesting clash of styles. Port is an early Stephens play which was produced as almost the exact opposite, the NT production being a very traditional staging in a singular naturalistic style.

The extremely physical Estonian section of 'Three Kingdoms' was very much like the Belarus Free Theatre's work that I've seen (they are also in Edinburgh this year again, if you are going there). The reason I can't see anything similar happening soon is because of the mix of nations and styles - what was fascinating was seeing the Brit critics praise the opening British section and then get progressively more confused as the production became more European, it was a perfect illustration of British theatre's insularity.

#26 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

View Postxanderl, on 26 May 2013 - 06:05 AM, said:

Simon Stephens will have two shows running in the West End shortly, and his episode of Playhouse Presents in on Sky Arts next week.

He will? I know Curious Incident is his, but what else is arriving in the West End?

#27 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

A Dolls House is his adaptation

#28 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

So looks like Sean Holmes has been reading this thread and your wish is his command. His Peter-Finch-In-Network press conference speech is here -
http://www.whatsonst...heat_31033.html

#29 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

The Lyric Hammersmith Secret Theatre company have already been at work for a month, if I understand Sean Holmes correctly. One actor is from the Estonian company. I'm interesed! But am trying to keep my expectations realistic ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users