36 replies to this topic

#21 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

I came back to WoS a minute ago, being told it was now safe.

Moment I open up this forum - avast has "blocked a harmful site". Not reassuring.

Will try again sometime :-)

#22 Vicky

Vicky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:46 AM

I've just tried as well and yet again another virus! Doesn't appear to be worse than the last one

#23 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:13 AM

I contracted a virus a few months ago while visiting a supposedly safe site thanks to a security problem in Java, and although I haven't been hit this time around this has prompted me to take further steps.

If you have the technical skills install something like VirtualBox or sandboxie and run your  web browsing or other activity inside that. Sandboxie redirects all disk writes to a safe area so although the browser thinks it's writing to the usual places on your disk it's actually writing to a temporary area that you can discard after use. VirtualBox goes further: it pretends to be an entire computer, but with the advantage that you can take a snapshot of it at a known-to-be-safe time and then revert to that snapshot if the pretend system gets infected; there's nothing any virus can do to access anything outside VirtualBox.

It's a bit of a pain to set things up in the first place, especially with VirtualBox because you have to create an entire system from scratch, but compared with the pain of having to rebuild a damaged system it's worth the effort.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#24 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

I have a Norton Anti-Virus system and it did the job.  I got warnings that a virus had been blocked but no damage.  Not shilling for Norton, just saying.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#25 poster J

poster J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1022 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

View Postmallardo, on 10 May 2012 - 12:42 PM, said:

I have a Norton Anti-Virus system and it did the job.  I got warnings that a virus had been blocked but no damage.  Not shilling for Norton, just saying.

AVG did the same for me, I got a virus warning for the first time this morning.

#26 chinatoy

chinatoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

Site blocked again due to another attack...........it's ok now though.

#27 CaityGlinda

CaityGlinda

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:55 AM

I'm not getting any of these attacks and I'm using a Macbook. I think it has inbuilt virus software but I'm not sure...basically is my computer safe? I visit WOS pretty much every day.
[West End] Wicked x7 . The Phantom Of The Opera x4 . Les Miserables x4 . Oliver! x3 .The Lion King x2 . We Will Rock You x2 . Sister Act x2 . Blood Brothers x2 . Hair x2 . War Horse x2 . Love Never Dies . Jersey Boys . Avenue Q . Hairspray . The 39 Steps . Legally Blonde . Mamma Mia! . Deathtrap . The Wizard of Oz . Ghost the Musical . Billy Elliot . Singin' In The Rain . Top Hat . Sweeney Todd . Matilda . Loserville .
[Broadway]  Next to Normal . Wicked . Anything Goes . End of the Rainbow .
[UK Tour]  West Side Story (Salford) . Joseph (Sheffield) . Oklahoma! (Sheffield) . Blood Brothers (Sheffield) . Avenue Q (Sheffield) . Jekyll and Hyde (Sheffield) . Tell Me On A Sunday (Sheffield) . Journey's End (Sheffield) . The Phantom Of The Opera (Leeds) .
[Regional] Hamlet (Sheffield Crucible) . Othello (Sheffield Crucible) . Company (Sheffield Crucible) . My Fair Lady (Sheffield Crucible) . Oliver (Sheffield Crucible)

#28 Whenindisgrace

Whenindisgrace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

I was getting blocked earlier this week - the Discussion Board being worse than the homepage - but it seems to have been cleared up now in that I've been able to get on with no problems for 48 hours.  Has someone at Whatsonstage done something?

#29 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

The site has been SPAMMED - in the form of posts by Greentkek.  Hoping no virus was attached to the spam.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#30 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

I use a mac too with no problems. The majority of viruses are written to attack PCs using windows. I've never come across a virus on a mac.
I wouldn't come on this board again using a windows computer after reading all these horror stories!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users