6 replies to this topic

#1 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

Anyone seen the new musical 'Vampirette' in Manchester?
I saw it on it's first preview, and it exceeded my expectations! It's technically a juke-box show, but I thought all the songs were performed appropriately, and weren't just there for the sake of being there. It has an amazing cast too, which really helps! Lauren Samuels plays the lead character and I thought she was fantastic. Overall, a highly entertaining fun show that definitely lived up to it's 'comedy' genre as it made the audience laugh on numerous occasions throughout. It's not a thought-provoking or serious show - just a fun show full of great songs and dance numbers! Definitely recommend it if you're near Manchester :) It has a very short try-out run too... ends on the 19th of May!

http://vampirettethemusical.com/
WEST END: Wicked X80 | Billy Elliot X91 | Singin' In The Rain X25 | Avenue Q X16 | Legally Blonde X27 | Matilda X5 | The Lion King X5 | Sound of Music X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X2 | We Will Rock You X4 | The 39 Steps X15 | Oliver X3 | Chicago X2 | Mamma Mia! X7 |  Hair X3 | Ghost Stories X1 | Jersey Boys X7 | Enron X1 | Blood Brothers X3 | All The Fun of the Fair X1 | Phantom of the Opera X5 | Flashdance X3 | Stomp X1 | Grease The Musical X3 | Sweet Charity X2 | The Woman In Black X2 | Priscilla X2 | Dreamboats and Petticoats X1 | The Glass Menagerie X1 | Love Never Dies X2 | Wizard of Oz X3 | Deathtrap X1 | Sister Act X5 | Love Story X2 | Ordinary Days X1 | End of the Rainbow X1 | Umbrellas of Cherbourg X3 | Flare Path X1 | Spelling Bee X1 | Shrek X7 | Thrill Me X1 | Lend Me A Tenor X2 | Ghost X3 | Betty Blue Eyes X1 | Rock of Ages X3 | Master Class X1 | One Man, Two Guv'nors X2 | Pitmen Painters X1 | Soho Cinders X2 | Spamalot x3 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Volcano X1 | Loserville X6 | Good Night Mr. Tom X1 | Scrooge X1 | Once X2 | A Chorus Line X5 | Curious Incident X2 | Beautiful Thing X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | A Midsummer Night's Dream X2 | Book of Mormon X2 | From Here To Eternity X1 | Stephen Ward X1 | The Commitments X1 | I Can't Sing X2 | Dirty Rotten Scoundrels X1 | The Duck House X1

FRINGE: Smokey Joe's Cafe X1 | Tomorrow Morning X3 | Company X1 | The Kissing Dance X2 | Road Show X1 | Crazy For You X1 | The Belle's Stratagem X3 | Pippin X1 | Kissing Sid James X1 | Mack & Mabel X1 | Taboo X1 | Victor/Victoria X1 | Bully Boy X1 | Daddy Long Legs X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | Lift X4 | Payback the Musical X1 | Candide X1 | The A to Z of Mrs P X1

BROADWAY: Wicked X1 | Newsies X1 | Annie X1

ON TOUR: Les Miserables (Barbican) X1 | Evita (Wimbledon) X1 | Annie (Woking) X1 | Hairspray (Woking) X1 | Avenue Q (Bromley) X2 | Avenue Q (Richmond) X2 | Avenue Q (Woking) X2 | Avenue Q (High Wycombe) X2 | Avenue Q (Southampton) X1 | Avenue Q (Milton Keynes) X1 | Avenue Q (Salford) X1 | Avenue Q (Cardiff) X1 | Avenue Q (Belfast) X1 | Avenue Q (Northampton) X2 | Jekyll & Hyde (Woking) X1 | Legally Blonde (Bristol) X2 | Legally Blonde (York) X1 | Legally Blonde (Glasgow) X1 | Legally Blonde (Edinburgh) X1 | Sister Act (Oxford) X1 | Legally Blonde (Wimbledon) X1 | Rent 20th Anniversary Concert X5 | West Side Story X1 | Wicked X10 | Seven Brides for Seven Brothers X1 | Fiddler on the Roof X1 | Fame X1 | Tonight's The Night X1

CHICHESTER: She Loves Me X3

OPEN AIR THEATRE: Crazy For You X1, Sound of Music X1

NATIONAL THEATRE: Welcome To Thebes X1 | London Road X1 | Curious Incident X1 | The Light Princess X1

OTHER: Vampirette (Manchester) X2, Loserville (Leeds) X1

#2 vertigo1

vertigo1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

I am sorry but either you have very little taste in theatre or you work for the company or have some involvement in the show. This is a horrible musical, the book is dreadful and makes no sense, the songs are so oddly picked that it did not feel like you were watching a vampire musical, the set was ugly, the lighting bad, the whole thing is a mess. Thank god for a few of the cast members who could rise above this dreadful material. One of the worst things i have ever seen, it beats Monkee Business for sheer awfulness. I must have seen 100s of shows in my time and this is at the top of some of the worst. I also got to see the other vampire musicals that all flopped, Lestat by Elton John, Michael Crawford in Dance of the Vampires and Frank Wildhorn's Dracula, all 3 were epic flops on Broadway but now look like masterpieces compared to this rubbish.

Some reviews out for Vampirette
WOS - http://www.whatsonst...anchester).html

Manchester Theatre Awards Site - http://manchesterthe...com/reviews/142

#3 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

Well I don't work for the company, so that's out - and simply having a different 'taste' to you in theatre doesn't make my opinion of the show invalid. I've also seen many shows (probably near 100 too), and just cuz I thought this was great doesn't mean I have 'little taste in theatre'. It's definitely not a master-piece, but in my opinion it's a really fun show. It's not claiming to be anything more than what it is. It's simply a jukebox musical about vampires. You can't expect a jaw-dropping plot from a musical like this. You have to enjoy it for what it is. I thought the set was great and although I agree that the book and some of the lines weren't perfect, overall the comedy was enough to entertain me. I do agree that the best thing about the show is its cast. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it half as much if it wasn't led by such a talented cast.
And thanks for the reviews - interesting to see what critics thought of the show. Just a shame I almost never agree with theatre critics!
WEST END: Wicked X80 | Billy Elliot X91 | Singin' In The Rain X25 | Avenue Q X16 | Legally Blonde X27 | Matilda X5 | The Lion King X5 | Sound of Music X1 | Les Miserables X5 | Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat X2 | We Will Rock You X4 | The 39 Steps X15 | Oliver X3 | Chicago X2 | Mamma Mia! X7 |  Hair X3 | Ghost Stories X1 | Jersey Boys X7 | Enron X1 | Blood Brothers X3 | All The Fun of the Fair X1 | Phantom of the Opera X5 | Flashdance X3 | Stomp X1 | Grease The Musical X3 | Sweet Charity X2 | The Woman In Black X2 | Priscilla X2 | Dreamboats and Petticoats X1 | The Glass Menagerie X1 | Love Never Dies X2 | Wizard of Oz X3 | Deathtrap X1 | Sister Act X5 | Love Story X2 | Ordinary Days X1 | End of the Rainbow X1 | Umbrellas of Cherbourg X3 | Flare Path X1 | Spelling Bee X1 | Shrek X7 | Thrill Me X1 | Lend Me A Tenor X2 | Ghost X3 | Betty Blue Eyes X1 | Rock of Ages X3 | Master Class X1 | One Man, Two Guv'nors X2 | Pitmen Painters X1 | Soho Cinders X2 | Spamalot x3 | Sweeney Todd X1 | Volcano X1 | Loserville X6 | Good Night Mr. Tom X1 | Scrooge X1 | Once X2 | A Chorus Line X5 | Curious Incident X2 | Beautiful Thing X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | A Midsummer Night's Dream X2 | Book of Mormon X2 | From Here To Eternity X1 | Stephen Ward X1 | The Commitments X1 | I Can't Sing X2 | Dirty Rotten Scoundrels X1 | The Duck House X1

FRINGE: Smokey Joe's Cafe X1 | Tomorrow Morning X3 | Company X1 | The Kissing Dance X2 | Road Show X1 | Crazy For You X1 | The Belle's Stratagem X3 | Pippin X1 | Kissing Sid James X1 | Mack & Mabel X1 | Taboo X1 | Victor/Victoria X1 | Bully Boy X1 | Daddy Long Legs X1 | Merrily We Roll Along X1 | Lift X4 | Payback the Musical X1 | Candide X1 | The A to Z of Mrs P X1

ON TOUR: Les Miserables (Barbican) X1 | Evita (Wimbledon) X1 | Annie (Woking) X1 | Hairspray (Woking) X1 | Avenue Q (Bromley) X2 | Avenue Q (Richmond) X2 | Avenue Q (Woking) X2 | Avenue Q (High Wycombe) X2 | Avenue Q (Southampton) X1 | Avenue Q (Milton Keynes) X1 | Avenue Q (Salford) X1 | Avenue Q (Cardiff) X1 | Avenue Q (Belfast) X1 | Avenue Q (Northampton) X2 | Jekyll & Hyde (Woking) X1 | Legally Blonde (Bristol) X2 | Legally Blonde (York) X1 | Legally Blonde (Glasgow) X1 | Legally Blonde (Edinburgh) X1 | Sister Act (Oxford) X1 | Legally Blonde (Wimbledon) X1 | Rent 20th Anniversary Concert X5 | West Side Story X1 | Wicked X10 | Seven Brides for Seven Brothers X1 | Fiddler on the Roof X1 | Fame X1 | Tonight's The Night X1

NATIONAL THEATRE: Welcome To Thebes X1 | London Road X1 | Curious Incident X1 | The Light Princess X1

#4 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

a 3.5* review here: http://www.thepublic...use-manchester/
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#5 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

And another slightly more fair review: http://browneyedgirl...te-the-musical/

#6 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

I saw this on Saturday (matinee) and was pleasently surprised. I admit I wasn't expecting much and only went because I have a friend in the cast (and it's hard to refuse a 5 pound ticket).
The story is rather flat but it's fun and doesn't pretend to be anything it's not. The cast is fantastic and I really enjoyed the dancing.
And what they did with "Total eclipse of the heart" was rather hilarious.

So yes, I enjoyed it and I'm glad I got to see this.

On a side note: Tom Goodall hurt his shoulder during the show on Friday and will probably be off for the end of the run.

#7 Sam4God

Sam4God

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

Last show tonight... I managed to see this again a few days ago, and thought it had really improved since its first preview. It's still not a perfect show, but it's fun with some hilarious lines and a great cast. Hopefully there will be a tour or something in the future!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users