• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 47-Paperweights

47-Paperweights

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Just noticed that Simon Stephens' 'Port', first staged at the Royal Exchange back in 2002, has been added to the NT's 'Forthcoming Productions' webpage. To play the Lyttleton from January 2013, directed by Marianne Elliott, who helmed the original production.

#2 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

Not sure why this play, which is basically a series of two-handed (with some expansions) vignettes, is playing in the Lyttleton theatre with its vast stage.  It's an intimate piece which doesn't need all this room. Which is not to say that Marianne Elliott's staging isn't effective - it is.  But it feels like it might be so much more powerful up close and personal in a smaller venue.

It's basically scenes (8 of them) in the sad life of a working class girl from Stockport, moving from 1988 when the heroine, Racheal Keats, is 11, to 2002 when she is 24.  It's an old story, the patterns and problems of childhood recapitulating themselves in adulthood, and the production is not subtle about underlining this theme.  For instance, the same actor who plays Rachael's brute of a father also plays her brute of a husband.

What Port has going for it is a young actress named Kate O'Flynn who can hold this big stage and make us - me at least - really care.  Her performance hasn't quite settled in yet - it was the 2nd preview - and her 11 year old is a bit too geeky gawky but as her character ages she blooms before our eyes.  She has the magic and she literally carries the play.  At the final bows when she stepped forward for a solo moment the audience exploded.

Upon reflection it seems to me that Port, with its gritty realism and unheightened street language, would make a pretty good low budget movie - a better movie than a play. If I had the money I'd option it myself.  And I would certainly cast Kate O'Flynn in the lead.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#3 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2075 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Interesting, thanks. Seeing it in a few weeks.

it does sound like it would be a better fit for the Cottesloe.

There's an offer via the Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/extra)
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#4 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Seeing this on Saturday.
I always think most stuff in the Lyttleton would be better elsewhere. But there you go.

#5 AnnieInTheStalls

AnnieInTheStalls

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

Yes this would be better in the Cottesloe (most things would be), but I think it holds its own on the big stage.

I was incredibly taken with this - it's brutal in the way of Nil by Mouth and Tyrannosaur, but, after two slow, even boring opening scenes, I was completely riveted. Stephens has created a wonderful character, Racheal, and she's brought to extraordinary life by Kate O'Flynn (unknown to me). I'll be surprised if I see a better performance this year.

Not something to take your mother to, or for a first date, but I'd thoroughly recommend, if you like this sort of thing.

#6 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

Sorry to say that the lurgy has prevented me from seeing this. If it beomes a classic  nd the show of 2013 I wouldn't now be surprised.

#7 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Seeing this on the 14th Feb - all on my own! :-( but looking forward to it as missed it at the RX Theatre when it first ran.
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#8 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Nothing wrong with going on your own; many of us on here do it all the time!

#9 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

Yeah but I am going alone on Valentines day :-p
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#10 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Oh I see, ha ha! You never know, you may start chatting to a fellow single theatregoer and who knows where it might lead..... ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users