34 replies to this topic

#11 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

LM 's got it all planned, don't you worry.

#12 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Gracious, what a stunning central performance in this play....one of Simon Stephens better plays and devastatingly acted...

Saw the last preview on Sat night and hope they get the good review they deserve....I agree that it is a risk on such a large stage but I was in the front row so close up anyway....not sure how it delivers to those at the back of the circle....

During the fight scene the mobile phone fell off the stage into the first row and was kindly replaced by a youngster sitting nearby.....it was just as well as the prop is used again a few minutes later to make another call....kept wondering what would have happened if no one had put it back onstage!

I did think that the doubling up of the mother and grandmother was a little unbelievable as the actress tended to overact and exaggerate when playing the grandmother.....but this is a minor moan in a play that has acting of the highest calibre

Thank god that they have something decent on in the Lyttleton...make a nice contrast to the other "play" running in the same auditorium...hah!

#13 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

View PostLaughingmonsta, on 28 January 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

Yeah but I am going alone on Valentines day :-p

Me too! ;-)
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

#14 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

LM,  may I introduce RR, RR may I introduce LM?

#15 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

Hope you two don't end up in the Bad Behaviour At A Show thread!

#16 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

View Postfringefan, on 29 January 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

Hope you two don't end up in the Bad Behaviour At A Show thread!

Ha Ha - I am a good boy!

Good to hear really positive reviews of the show - looking forward to this now!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#17 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

Saw this last night and want to echo the above. This is really excellent and deserves to be seen by as many people as possible. Kate O'Flynn surely a star in the making.

I know you shouldn't feed the troll but did anyone read Letts' review?

http://www.dailymail...reached-it.html

#18 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

I never understood why any paper, even the Mail, would employ as a theatre critic someone who doesn't like or get theatre. But I suppose he is writing squarely for his demographic...

#19 xy_whitefaerie

xy_whitefaerie

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

Booked this for the 16th of Feb. Didn't know what to expect cos there weren't any reviews back then (though I guess they aren't always accurate judging from Letts' review). Glad to know that people liked it. Now I'm excited!

#20 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Mediocre. Didn't like this at all. Felt like we were being bludgeoned over the head to get the message across. Cliche after cliche. All very predictable and not particularly well done. I hated the car at the beginning...couldn't hear dialogue when the girls head dipped behind the dash and I was in 2nd row. Acting was ok but this felt very dated and I got bored. Sorry.
Oh and a man in front of me laughed at the bits that were most definitely not funny (violence)
Things were livened up a bit when a spotlight fell out of the set, mid scene, from above the dressing table mirror but not for long....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users