17 replies to this topic

#1 perrier

perrier

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

Morphic Graffiti presents the London premiere of JEKYLL AND HYDE by Leslie Bricusse & Frank Wildhorn.

The cast is lead by Tim Rogers as Jekyll / Hyde, Madalena Alberto as Lucy and Joanna Strand as Emma.

From 16th May to 16th June 2012 at London's Union Theatre.

Official webiste: http://www.morphicgr...com/jekyll.html

Feature about it: http://www.todomusic...-union-theatre/

Not to be missed! Waiting for your thoughts about it!!

#2 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

View Postperrier, on 11 May 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

Morphic Graffiti presents the London premiere of JEKYLL AND HYDE by Leslie Bricusse & Frank Wildhorn.

The cast is lead by Tim Rogers as Jekyll / Hyde, Madalena Alberto as Lucy and Joanna Strand as Emma.

From 16th May to 16th June 2012 at London's Union Theatre.

Official webiste: http://www.morphicgr...com/jekyll.html

Feature about it: http://www.todomusic...-union-theatre/

Not to be missed! Waiting for your thoughts about it!!

It will be interesting to see how this production does and what it will look or sound like as I would love to see it. I first saw the show last year with Marti Pellow on tour and thought that particular production was mediocre, but the music was great. Since then Ive actually thought that it could work in a modern urban setting like this production will be.

#3 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

Definitely.There are some great songs in it.Jekyll/Hyde is a difficult role but there has to be a better way of playing it than Marti Pellow's interpretation.

#4 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

Love the Union (their Babes in Arms was just infectious).

Love Jekyll and Hyde and going on 27 May.

One of my favourite songs is "Someone like you" but my partner and I can't stop singing "I pee through windows..."!!!
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#5 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

as long as you are only singing it....i love off west end theatre-some of the best shows and performances ever.

#6 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

Looking forward to this. The Union do some terrific shows - at affordable prices and it is a priviledge to see performers up close.

Always the loved the album/music from this show but never seen a good stage production. Perhaps it just works better as a "concept album" than the actual stage show, or perhaps the recent Paul Nicolas and Marti Pellow productions were just poor. So I am looking forward to seeing how the Union tackle this show.

#7 perrier

perrier

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

That is what Mark Shenton {The Stage} says about it...

Last Friday I saw a production of Jekyll and Hyde at the tiny Union Theatre in Southwark that made me wonder both whether the original Broadway production got it fatally wrong and also whether I’ve been even more undeservedly been getting Wildhorn wrong.

The surprise for me was how an apparently mediocre musical suddenly blazed with new life. (A follower immediately begged to disagree when I posted that verdict on Twitter: “There is nothing ‘mediocre’ about Jekyll and Hyde. Its one of the great musicals ever written.”) Actually, I’ve never objected to the score: the original Broadway cast recording has always been a guilty pleasure. Wildhorn knows how to write great melodies, but there’s always been a mismatch between the contemporary-sounding score, with its American Idol style ballads (not least of them ‘This is the Moment’) and its period setting.

That problem is instantly solved by director Luke Fredericks by setting Morphic Graffiti’s production in the here and now too, giving it a real intensity and amplifying both its clarity and feeling. It is also greatly helped by the calibre of performances in this tiny space: one of the ongoing wonders of the fringe, and the Union in particular, is just who is prepared to work here.

Tim Rogers, an Aussie who has played leading roles at home in musicals and in opera, has previously appeared in the West End in the return of Lloyd Webber’s Whistle Down the Wind, is outstanding in the title role/s, but even more incredible is Madalena Alberto, a Portuguese born songbird who was Fantine in the 25th anniversary tour of Les Miserables that came to the Barbican. Her performance as Lucy here is one of the best sung in London at the moment. It’s the role that was originated by Wildhorn’s muse (and now former wife) Linda Eder, and Alberto is every bit her vocal equal. But there’s barely a weak link anywhere in the company.

#8 bickypeg

bickypeg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

Wonderful!Can't wait!

#9 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

Saw this yesterday and it really is a terrific production with three fantastic central perfomances. Tim Rogers is mesmerising and not just because he happens to be extremely pleasing on the eye. I hadn't heard the score before and I know some people love it, but I found it just too one dimensional, it needs more light and shade, obviously that's not the productions fault. They have been a little over ambitious with the set, which opens and folds into various scenarios but looks like it's been knocked up by a woodwork class for a school play. Great use of projections and videos though. I have blogged more about it here http://frontrowdress...-sunday-20.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#10 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

Got to say, this production looks really good from the gallery here http://www.morphicgr...jh-gallery.html
Would like to see this if it had a transfer to the West End, but the reviews aren't exactly 5-star like Sweeney Todd and Singin in the Rain were in Chichester, so I doubt it would happen.

Also tagged with jekyll and hyde, union theatre, madalena alberto, tim rogers, joanna strand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users