76 replies to this topic

#1 gandalf

gandalf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

Delighted this is being put on as a play with the songs from the film - and set back in Sheffield. Loved the original screenplay by the fantastic Simon Beaufoy (Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours etc) who is back on the project. Quite enjoyed the musical version a few years back but it was set in the US with new songs. Why mess with a classic?! Should be a great show.

#2 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:40 AM

Totally agree with above, this really lends itself to the stage unlike many other film/stage transfers but as a play and using some of the film's music....great idea

Daniel Evans should be congratulated, he's pulled off a coup for Sheffield and even more so getting Oscar winner Simon Beaufoy to write it - genius

Wishing them massive success next year and can't wait to hear more news about the creative team

#3 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

Just seen the most bizarre and simply amazing ad in today's Saturday Telegraph for this show!
Brilliant and daring and simple, no zips, no nudity, no hunky men just a large banana!

Have booked tickets for Canterbury, nearest it comes to London it says  (see their website www.fullmontytheplay.com) although seriously thinking of trecking to Sheffield now.

It looks fun and after what I've seen recently in the West End I need fun!

#4 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

View Postgandalf, on 11 May 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

Delighted this is being put on as a play with the songs from the film - and set back in Sheffield. Loved the original screenplay by the fantastic Simon Beaufoy (Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours etc) who is back on the project. Quite enjoyed the musical version a few years back but it was set in the US with new songs. Why mess with a classic?! Should be a great show.

First preview last night
Total standing ovation
Pretty special night
Well done Sheffield
Again!

#5 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Good to hear! I'm seeing it in my home town of Canterbury in March.

Is it going to transfer to the West End?

#6 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

I think the show could transfer but not straight away as most of the playhouses are booked up, I think the Vaudeville could be an option.

#7 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

There was, at some point, talk of the Gielgud but that's been taken by Private Lives. I think the Vaudeville after Great Expectations (if it survives that long) would be the best bet, as you say Jon. Depends on the reviews on tour though, but by the sounds of it it went down rather well last night.

#8 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 03 February 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

Good to hear! I'm seeing it in my home town of Canterbury in March.

Is it going to transfer to the West End?

It should but then so should My Fair Lady but these theatre owners seem to be a law unto themselves nowadays
The Full Monty is a big cast tho 14 or 15 and the set is incredible so would need a largish theatre

Hope it all works out for Sheffield to help them make up their lost council grant, they really deserve a break

#9 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

View PostJamiem, on 03 February 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

The Full Monty is a big cast tho 14 or 15 and the set is incredible so would need a largish theatre

Hope it all works out for Sheffield to help them make up their lost council grant, they really deserve a break

If Thriller wasn't clogging up the Lyric, I think The Full Monty would work there as would The Noel Coward which won't be available until February 2014 due to the Michael Grandage Season.

#10 vickster51

vickster51

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

I'm seeing this in a couple of weeks when I'm visiting parents in Sheffield and looking forward to it and happy to hear the first preview went well. Thrilled that Sheffield theatres has been on such a role for the last year or so. I'm seeing this and Bull in the same trip so very pleased.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users