• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#11 Jake

Jake

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

I went up to see the first preview on Saturday; luckily for me my sister lives in Sheffield! I have to say, it was one of the most spectacular nights I've ever had in the theatre. The reaction was just off the scale. I was initially a bit worried about the Saturday night crowd - all mostly couples in their 50s - so thought it'd be very sedate.. How wrong I was! God knows what it'll be like when the hen nights hit it! Every line lands perfectly. It's poignant, moving, and hysterically funny; no wonder Simon Beaufoy wanted to write his own script. Rob Jones' set is just jaw dropping - don't want to spoil it for anyone going though, but there are some amazing moments. Fantastic cast too of course (Kenny Doughty especially) but best of all, it's directed by Daniel Evans.. who in my opinion can do no wrong right now. He's turned Sheffield into a powerhouse, and this is the icing on the cake. I think it's touring for a while first, but surely this is completely destined for the West End.. it would be a travesty not to come in when you think of the crap currently running!

#12 Cyrano

Cyrano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

I've booked to see this later in the week, so I will report later. Interesting what was said earlier about My Fair Lady...why exactly isn't it coming in? I heard Dominic West had cleared his diary in the autumn. So proud that people are talking about Sheffield again...thank you Mr. Evans.

#13 gandalf

gandalf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Went on Monday - absolutely great night out - full standing ovation. Much of the play is truly hilarious but as with the film has several moving moments. Brilliant cast of all shapes and sizes..

Think its just about OK to say its better than the film since it has the same writer! Highly recommended

(Delighted for Sheffield theatres too)

#14 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

This sounds great, I really hope it make it to west end. How does it include the songs from the film? Are they performed live or is it just that the guys dance to recordings?

#15 gandalf

gandalf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

no band but use of songs works really well - use of radio, record player and recorded songs of the original artists Tom Jones Hot Chocolate etc etc plus some 80's classics in the background for a period feel

#16 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

How is it different from the film, I imagine with it being the same writer, its going to be a lot closer to the source material rather than the musical was in more ways than one,

#17 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

It's a beautiful production, close enough to the film but with a dynamic all of its own. Credit to everyone involved. I have written a little more in my blog, including differences from the film.

#18 Cyrano

Cyrano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

I saw this last night - what a fantastic night in the theatre! The standing ovation was so genuine, men women and everyone in between. I was expecting a hen night audience, of which there were some, but mostly it was a Sheffield Theatres Crucible audience. I had tears in my eyes twice and laughed so my whole body shook more times than I can remember.

In response to the question about the differences to the film...as a huge fan of the film, I felt I got a more rounded view of the characters and the community. The show lends itself to the stage anyway because of the famous ending but what you get is the piercing wit of a community fighting quite literally for its life. The female characters are stronger and the current financial situation means that every one in the audience empathised in some way with what the characters were going through.

This really is a show for these times because the political resonance is so deep; but mainly because god we need to laugh!!!

#19 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

London's WE needs a show like this - I do hope it might transfer.

#20 Cyrano

Cyrano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Just read Poly's blog review...so much better than mine. Definately worth a read! Then try and get a ticket or two or ten!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users