A West End transfer is looking likely, I imagine it'll come in June or July

#23 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

The actors are under option but think it might be September/October - due to theatre availability but where?

#24 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Duke of York's or the Duchess maybe? I'm just guessing.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#25 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

View Posttheatreliker, on 19 February 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

Duke of York's or the Duchess maybe? I'm just guessing.

The Duke of Yorks won't be available until September as Passion Play is playing there after The Judas Kiss and the Duchess is too small. Think if they want to transfer straight away after the tour then only The Vaudeville is free otherwise wait until the Autumn as I imagine there will theatres free for it to transfer to,

#26 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

It's touring to HUGE theatres - Bristol Hippodrome, Birmingham Hippodrome, etc. It's fantastic to see a stonkingly popular play with balls touring to so many people. It doesn't happen very often. Apart from One Man, Two Guvnors and I suppose War Horse, I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head, and OMTG is really just an entertainment anyway with none of TFM's  frissons of reality.

#27 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1220 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

Yes, touring plays to HUGE theatres is becoming trendy as producers catch on to the increased potential box office revenue of a "musical theatre house" with only the cost of a straight play. So The Mousetrap, Birds of a Feather, Woman in Black, Noises Off are all touring large theatres as well as the Full Monty and War Horse forementioned.

Many of these shows are playing the Congress Theatre in Eastbourne for example rather than the smaller Devonshire Park Theatre next door.

#28 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1387 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Given how successful Calendar Girls was, the producers of The Full Monty must be confident that it'll do good business on tour before they come into the West End.

#29 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3746 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

Well it's selling out here in Canterbury. I can't wait to see it, haven't looked forward to production at my local theatre this much for a while. The Marlowe is a pretty big house, too. 1200 over three levels. Impressive for what is quite a small place.

#30 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3370 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

One Man hasnt really done the really huge theatres, not yet anyway (which was a surprise) and im not aware of Woman in Black doing large theatres yet? Certainly not to my local ones

The Ladykillers has also done large venues. Im in two minds, on one hand its great to see plays selling out these big venues but on the other you do lose something by intimate shows on such large stages and they do get a little 'lost'.

Art and The Play What I Wrote both did large venues and Noises Off original UK tour did too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users