A rave in the Sunday Times today

#42 spendleb

spendleb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

Hi all, has anyone been to see the new touring production?   I am off to The Lowry in Manchester this weekend to see it, just interested in opinions and if the audience is really all just hen party screaming (I hope it isn't !!)

#43 Laineee

Laineee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:11 PM

It was very much hen party screaming when I saw it in Edinburgh. This obviously led to a great atmosphere for the final scene, but the shouting and heckling during some of the quieter moments was very distracting. That said, I did enjoy the play overall, despite the appalling behaviour of a few individuals in the audience.

#44 Monteverdi

Monteverdi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

yes inspite of the women baying for flesh, most of the tender intimate moments worked, as best they can in the barn of the Lowry with most of the cast having to shout at lot. Stunning set with many surprises, cleverly adapted and lots of great physical stunts. And one amazing prosthetic.

#45 spendleb

spendleb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

Lovely, dragged my partner to this kicking and screaming, he went to see the musical version a few years back and walked out at half time due to the women screaming......oh well, might take him some ear plugs.

#46 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

Apparently this adaptation of the film and production are excellent from the reviews I have read, and I understand the producers are looking to bring it into the WE. I would like to see this, but the thought of an audience full of screaming "hen parties" really puts me off.

#47 spendleb

spendleb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

View Postwickedgrin, on 19 April 2013 - 08:27 AM, said:

Apparently this adaptation of the film and production are excellent from the reviews I have read, and I understand the producers are looking to bring it into the WE. I would like to see this, but the thought of an audience full of screaming "hen parties" really puts me off.

Its such a shame, it's not like they even get to see the blokes bits at the end, can't they just go and see Dreamboys or whatever the latest show of that type is called?

#48 Musicality

Musicality

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Saw this last night with my husband who really enjoyed it and thought it the funniest thing he'd ever seen! Not really any screaming women and just the odd one calling out,  so no problems at all - quite a few men there but mostly women.
If you're very near the front in the stalls you might well see 'bits' at the end but up in the circle it was too dark on stage to see much at all!
Enjoy it.

#49 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

I saw it a month ago and rather enjoyed it. They could've delved into the politics a bit more, made it grittier. What it is a light, slightly superficial tale of triumph over adversity. It's a good night out. Some dodgy acting in there, but some strong performances too, and it's been well designed.

No crazy screaming 'til the end, when it must be said it is encouraged.

#50 spendleb

spendleb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 19 April 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

I saw it a month ago and rather enjoyed it. They could've delved into the politics a bit more, made it grittier. What it is a light, slightly superficial tale of triumph over adversity. It's a good night out. Some dodgy acting in there, but some strong performances too, and it's been well designed.

No crazy screaming 'til the end, when it must be said it is encouraged.

I can cope with the end, they did that in the musical too and it was part of the fun, it's just when it's all the way through.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users