• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 theatreproducer

theatreproducer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Can I ask if anyone else has difficulty in dealing with Musicscope? I'm trying to license a musical for professional production with them and not only are they slow but INCREDIBLY rude and unhelpful.

#2 simon from oxford

simon from oxford

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

You are not alone in finding working with them an .... interesting .... experience.

#3 theatreproducer

theatreproducer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

I found it difficult to apply for the licence in the first instance and now that I'm chasing to see how the application is going (after they've had the form a week), they won't tell me anything. Except I have to wait until I'm written to as they want more information.  'Right, can you tell me what that information is?' 'No.' 'If you can tell me what else you need, I can start to gather that information' 'I can't tell you that. We'll write to you.' Brilliant!!!! 'Can you tell me how long this procedure takes?' 'No'.
The receptionist was very very unhelpful and completely clueless and then when I eventually got through to someone in licensing (after numerous calls thus being hung up on once, having the call dropped an another attempt, left on hold and also being told she was in a meeting!) she was stand-offish, completely unhelpful and uninterested. Not to mention extremely rude and wouldn't enter into conversation without patronisation!! Apparently, I had also applied on an amateur license form (yet this is the only form on the website!!) Their system and staff are just very unhelpful. Like they don't want to give the license. Shouldn't they remember, their clients earn money from our performances. I'm so tempted just to produce a show from Josef Weinberger who have been nothing but helpful with our back-up option.

#4 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

I would agree that Weinberger have been nothing but hugely helpful and efficient in all the dealings I've had with them over the last few years.  (Although it's also helpful that I now work three quarters of a mile from their offices, so can nip over every now and again with cheques or hobble away loaded with West Side Story vocal scores).

Our group hasn't done a Musicscope show since Crazy For You in 2007, but I'm sure that the Musicscope website is out of date with its "Oliver! restrictions lifted since January 2011".  Surely everyone would be doing it if it were available?
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#5 Minsky

Minsky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

This is very typical of MusicScope in the UK, as they have a terrible reputation for rudeness and inefficiency. When I was booking shows licensed by them for a major Musical Theatre Training school -  sometimes booking three of four shows at a time -  I came to understand that they only work part time.  
You have to work anything up to six months in advance in order to get a show off the ground.
I was once reprimanded for using the wrong courier to return the books. (I had used Parcel Force).

I agree about Weinbergers, they are a pleasure to deal with and will do their utmost to help in any way they can.

#6 theatreproducer

theatreproducer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

6 weeks later and I'm still getting nowhere!! They say they are writing to me (blatantly they're not!) and then she was going to look into it and phone me back. That was 4 days ago!
I can't move anything forward until I get these rights sorted and it could mean losing out on a possible theatre and dates!They are nothing but unhelpful, rude & SLOW to deal with. I even asked her to look into our back-up option (also unfortunately licensed by them) which she just seemed to brush aside and ignore.
I feel when I ring, I'm doing something wrong and I have to be unbelievably nice to even get spoken to like a human being.
I have further information to give about a possible theatre and dates now, yet scared to ring as they know my name and I feel like they just think I'm a nuisance. Trust me, I'm really not. I just want to feel like things are being dealt with and I'd like to feel like I'm not lost in translation! It's a VERY frustrating and painful process.

#7 Minsky

Minsky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

Go ahead and give them an earful.  It seems to be the only language they understand.

#8 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Have you any way of contacting the author(s) of the show you want to stage? I am sure they will not be pleased that their possible royalties are in jeopardy from Musicscopes ineptitude.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#9 Spurgetti

Spurgetti

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

I know of someone who didn't get the materials from MusicScope by the date promised, along with two scores for the wrong show, and asked for possible consideration of some sort of reduction in the fees charged.  The telephone response consisted of a refusal to accept anything was wrong and the declaration that they would withdraw the licence (which had already been granted) - for daring to even suggest their service might have been under par!  I can't help thinking they were treading a very dubious legal line here but, that aside, what kind of way is that to treat a customer?!  The organisation was bullied into withdrawing any complaint and agreeing that it would never be mentioned again.

#10 Baud

Baud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

Most of the shows they license are originally licensed by Tams-Witmark in New York. You could contact them directly and tell them about your problems with Musicscope Licensing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users