• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#11 Kwyver

Kwyver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:32 PM

I am currently having the exact same problems. The staff at Musicscope are (when they answer the phone) rude, slow and unhelpful. We applied for rights months ago, and after being told we were successful in getting them, were promised an application form had been sent to us. It never arrived, so I phoned and asked them to send it again. This has happened several times now, with us never receiving it. We asked for an invoice, which they did send to us, and which we have paid, for the deposit. They refuse to send any more application forms out and blame it on us for losing them each time. They said they cannot email or fax them as it is a legal document, even though past productions at my school have had these kind of forms emailed to them from different companies. I am a 6th former producing my school's 6th form production, and it is run entirely by students. Musicscope have used this as an excuse to blame everything on us, calling us irresponsible and saying that young people shouldn't have this kind of responsibility, which is exactly the kind of thoughts we want to prove wrong. They are unbelievably rude to us, promise to call back and never do, and have not once replied to an email. We are getting really desperate to receive our scripts and scores, and Musicscope is the only company that has the rights for our musical.

I would be so grateful if anyone had any advice with how to deal with Musicscope, or any previous experience. I have tried calling up the American company who licences the musicals to Musicscope, but so far there has been no answer. I will keep trying but it appears that no matter how many times you complain, Musicscope don't seem to care, or they threaten to take away your music rights.

We are getting really desperate so any help or advice is much appreciated.

#12 theatreproducer

theatreproducer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

Sorry to hear you are having problems.  They are one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with!

I have things on the backburner for the time being so haven’t had much to do with them recently.

I have been dealing with Tams-Witmark in NYC directly.  They are much more helpful.  I’m not sure if they deal with amateur licensing however?

It’s shocking that Musicscope can’t provide a professional service; and that they have to be so incapable and RUDE with what they do struggle to attempt.  Their clients would be outraged by the way their agent acts (or not acts!), I’m sure.  It’s their royalties, after all.

I hope you manage to get some answers.

#13 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:26 PM

FIrstly, is there a head of drama at your school that can ring on your behalf, and ask where the licence is?  And double-check that they have the correct address.

I would suggest recording the next telephone conversation you have with someone at the company (but make sure you tell them that they are).

Perhaps approach someone at The Stage newspaper?

It sounds like you've had such a terrible experience with them.  I know from experience with Weinberger that it is common to send licences for shows via email.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#14 Kwyver

Kwyver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

We did eventually have to resort to getting our head teacher to ring them, but even then it took multiple phone calls, several different members of staff and they were still incredibly rude. Thankfully it's all sorted and we're able to put on the musical, but it's so frustrating that there is no alternative.

Also tagged with Licensing, theatre, musicals, producers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users