44 replies to this topic

#21 figgy1978

figgy1978

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

Does anyone have any idea what the seats are like at the rear of the mezzanine?  We are going in October but can't decide if the $100 for 4th row from back of mezzanine will be ok or if I have to fork out $150.

#22 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

They're OK, I've sat both in rear and front mezz and both offer good views. I do think though because of the way Michael Grandage has directed this that the closer you are to the action, the better, and that it's probably worth spending the extra $50 for what you gain in terms of immersion. Also the theatre is typically full of Ricky Martin fans who don't always behave and have their mobile phones/cameras out -- you've got less chance of that bothering you if you're in the front mezz and the ushers police that area better.

#23 Doogie Hoser

Doogie Hoser

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:58 AM

I would agree... the closer you are the better the experience.  It's a massive theatre compared to any I've been in in London.  Try to get centre section too, if you can... we were five rows back but on the side and the mistress scene was entirely lost when they were 'upstairs.;'

#24 shetlander

shetlander

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

I've been to see it in NY we were upstairs in the mez and it was fine, you pay for what you get but its a big wide balconey we were nearly at the back and it was fine as i said.

i thought it was great as i hadn't seen it befour, Ricky was great,  eveta was a bit shouty i thought at times but neverthe less that just me.  still worth while to see the cast sets etc.

dont try and sneek a photo after being toold not to the staff come and get you to delete them or you get chucked out.  well dont them!

#25 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

Could this production transfer to the westend for a run next year ?

#26 Jamie Kenny

Jamie Kenny

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

^ I wouldn't think so. It's a transfer of the 2006 revival that didn't too terribly well.

#27 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

Shame! They could tour it maybe..

#28 ABowlerHat

ABowlerHat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

View PostShowstopper, on 24 August 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

Shame! They could tour it maybe..

It has toured! Though not exactly the same production, it toured for about 4 years after the West End production closed.

#29 The Scorpion

The Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

View PostABowlerHat, on 24 August 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

It has toured! Though not exactly the same production, it toured for about 4 years after the West End production closed.

The Bill Kenwright monstrosity had nothing to do with this production. Except that Kenwright cannibalised Grandage's direction and then offered a weird mish-mash of that and the Hal Prince original.

It's a shame the beautiful production at the Adelphi didn't last longer, especially given how amazingly positive the reviews were all round. But that's RUG and André Ptaszynski's crappy producing for you. If they'd put the effort in rather than promoting the hell out of The Sound of Music, which didn't even need extra publicity given the TV show, they could have made it a strong money-maker just as the Broadway production has fortunately been.

#30 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3383 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

Unless the west end production had ricky Martin in (or similar) nothing could have saved it. It's his casting that is making the NYC show the money maker it is

I actually preferred the Kenwright tour to the underwhelming and poorly directed Adelphi version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users