26 replies to this topic

#1 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

Anyone been to see this yet? Curious as to whether its worth it.

#2 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3755 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Apparently the set features a swimming pool. That's all I've heard.

#3 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:29 PM

The Almeida does give very good "set". We're seeing it from the bargain row F seats in about three weeks, would love to hear the thoughts of anyone that's already been.
www.frontrowdress.com

#4 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3755 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Yes, their sets are always excellent, esp considering they have zero wingspace. Their 'backstage' is under the stage I think.

#5 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:31 PM

Yes, there is a swimming pool - there's even a beautiful naked girl swimming in it. That would be Emily Berrington who plays the daughter of the piece.  It's her professional stage debut and, for me at least, she quite handily steals the show - and not just because of her nude scenes.  Like everyone else in the play she's a nasty piece of work, self-centered, heedlessly dumb, viciously cruel and oblivious to everyone else around her but at least Ms Berrington makes her entertaining. It feels like she's author Matthew Dunster's favorite character and she was mine too.

As for the rest, what to make of them?  A pretty raw assortment of people who are supposed to be best friends but of course really aren't. The first act plays well - Dunster writes good dramatic scenes and keeps us guessing.  But the second act sinks into melodrama and sermonizing.  One of the characters, a would be documentary filmmaker, gives us an endless lecture on the rape of the environment which is no doubt true but which stops the play dead.

The cast does all they can.  Darrell D'Silva has some great moments, as does Trevor Fox, as do Sally Rogers and Beth Cordingly. But I found I couldn't sympathize or empathize with any of them.  

The pool was good though.  And the girl in it.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#6 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

Oh dear, this doesn't sound too promising, and I was hoping the Almeida would be back on track after the last show and would finish on a high.  Not seeing this for 10 days yet so maybe it will bed in and improve, though it sounds more a case of the script lacking than the production.  And the new season looks dire...

#7 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

I have to report though that the audience gave it a rousing, even raucous reception at the final curtain so others liked it far more than I did.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#8 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2534 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

Mallardo's post makes it sound as though it's a newly discovered play by Chekhov.

#9 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Yeah, the one with the naked girl in the swimming pool as opposed to the one with the guy with the bird or the one with the samovar....oh sorry that is all of them with the samovar.

#10 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2534 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

Uncle Vanya calls Elena a water nymph and urges her to break free. The rest of Mallardo's post is even closer to Chekhov.

Also tagged with Almeida

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users