26 replies to this topic

#11 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

So what we want is a Katie Mitchell Uncle oops Auntie Vanya with real water? Lead me to it.

#12 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2529 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

Michael Billington's review today: "as an actor-director, Dunster must be aware how Chekhov handled a similar situation in Uncle Vanya with rather more finesse." I rest my case.

#13 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

:-)))))

#14 Punk Rock

Punk Rock

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

I broadly agree with Mallardo's post, althought I would argue most of the characters are more complex than he/she suggests and I certainly liked it more.  

And the audience on the night I went gave it a lot of applause.

As someone who, whilst recognising other qualities, finds Chekhov's plays rather pedestrian, I must say I enjoyed this rather more.

Recommended.

#15 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

Today's matinee had the smallest attendance I've ever seen at the Almeida, and I'd considered wasting my ticket in favour of something else with better reviews, since there are always more plays to see than time in which to see them.  That said, although I wouldn't say it was generally good or well-written, it wasn't a disaster either or something with which I lost patience before the interval, unlike Filumena.  The part of the awful Effie was well observed and played - almost worth it for that alone.  Many of the other characters however were not so much unsympathetic as unconvincing, particularly Gordon.  As for Chekhov, call me a philistine but I decided years ago that life was too short for any more of his work.

#16 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

Considering the reviews I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. The soap box "big business is bad" moments were far too frequent and clumsy, but I was totally engrossed and delighted at the "worm-turning" aspects of it. Well worth a visit, especially from the £8 F12. More thoughts here if you're interested http://frontrowdress...da-theatre.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#17 Bambodoy

Bambodoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

I really enjoyed this. Another great evening at the Almeida.
2011-2012 THEATRE

WEST END: End of the Rainbow (Trafalgar Studios), Legally Blonde (Savoy Theatre), Love Never Dies (Adelphi Theatre), Children's Hour (Comedy Theatre), Top Girls (Trafalgar Studios), Richard III (Old Vic), The Tempest (Theatre Royal Haymarket), The Faith Machine (Royal Court), We Will Rock You (Dominion Theatre), The Kitchen (National Theatre), War Horse (New London Theatre), Death and the Maiden (Harold Pinter Theatre), Jumpy (Royal Court), 13 (National Theatre), Collaborators (National Theatre), Jerusalem (Apollo Theatre), Driving Miss Daisy (Wyndham's Theatre), Ghost (Piccadilly Theatre), Grief (National Theatre), The Comedy of Errors (National Theatre), Travelling Light (National Theatre), She Stoops to Conquer (National Theatre), In Basildon (Royal Court), Absent Friends (Harold Pinter Theatre), Matilda the Musical (Cambridge Theatre), Gross und Klein (Barbican), One Man Two Guvnors (Theatre Royal Haymarket), Moon on a Rainbow Shawl (National Theatre), Belong (Royal Court), Misterman (National Theatre), Detroit (National Theatre), The Last of the Haussmans (National Theatre), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (National Theatre).

OFF-WEST END: Becky Shaw (Almeida Theatre), Tiger Country (Hampstead Theatre), Small Hours (Hampstead Theatre), My City (Almeida Theatre), Anna Christie (Donmar Warehouse), Inadmissible Evidence (Donmar Warehouse), Reasons to be Pretty (Almeida Theatre), The Kitchen Sink (Bush Theatre), Stones in his Pockets (Tricycle), Hamlet (Young Vic), Our New Girl (Bush Theatre), Richard II (Donmar Warehouse), The Recruiting Officer (Donmar Warehouse), Bingo (Young Vic), Black T-Shirt Collection (National Theatre), Love Love Love (Royal Court), Filumena (Almeida Theatre), Making Noise Quietly (Donmar Warehouse), Children's Children (Almeida Theatre), The Physicists (Donmar Warehouse), Birthday (Royal Court).

UPCOMING: London Road (National Theatre), The Doctor's Dilemma (National Theatre), The Count of Monte Cristo (National Theatre).

Follow me on Twitter: @Bambodoy

#18 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

I ended up having to leave at the interval this evening - wasn't enjoying it as much as I felt I perhaps should have. And after having seen the superb The Witness this afternoon and managing to pick up a nosebleed in Act 1 of this, I figured I was being given a sign to leave!

The first scene felt like a total mess, far too much talking over each other and facts being thrown about so much that at one point I thought "OK, who's Michael?" about 15 minutes in! It did improve markedly when things had fizzled out into a two hander. The second scene flowed better, but it still felt very stilted to me.

Seems I might have left at the right time, if peoples opinions on here say the second half was the poorer one.

Can I ask - is the Almeida usually of this quality? My first trip there was Filumena (what a drag that was) and second this, is this their par level? Excellent sets and solid performances but rather "and, so what?" plays.

#19 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2529 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

View PostDanielWhit, on 28 June 2012 - 08:50 PM, said:

Can I ask - is the Almeida usually of this quality? My first trip there was Filumena (what a drag that was) and second this, is this their par level? Excellent sets and solid performances but rather "and, so what?" plays.

I think that's a fair assessment of its current reputation. Often the performances and productions are also very good but usually I see no discernible reason for their apparently random choice of plays. Such a waste!

#20 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

Ah, how the mighty are fallen. Once it was 'the achingly fashionable' Almeida because every show was first class, a great choice brilliantly done. The sets always breath taking, the acting top notch. Then they did up the place, Kent and McDiarmid left and it slowly slumped back into what Daniel has found to be so.

How I long for the time I would wait in the rain for the loo in a leaky and tiny outhouse. The curse of a new building struck. But don't give up on it. I think it will renew itself eventually

Also tagged with Almeida

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users