26 replies to this topic

#21 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

Baz Bamigboye reveals the excellent casting for the Almeida's King Lear in his weekly Friday column in tomorrow's Daily Mail, available online now.

http://www.dailymail...-Young-Vic.html

#22 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

Could you link? I can't find it.

Btw, if it's Jenny Jules etc, that was announced ages ago.

EDIT: have found. But that was announced at least a month or so ago.

#23 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

View PostLynette, on 28 June 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

Ah, how the mighty are fallen. Once it was 'the achingly fashionable' Almeida because every show was first class, a great choice brilliantly done. The sets always breath taking, the acting top notch. Then they did up the place, Kent and McDiarmid left and it slowly slumped back into what Daniel has found to be so.

How I long for the time I would wait in the rain for the loo in a leaky and tiny outhouse. The curse of a new building struck. But don't give up on it. I think it will renew itself eventually

When did they get the revamp? I must admit it feels strange that the only access to the circle is from outside - I presume that's a general little quirk of the building layout.

And yes, I'm sure it will revive itself - every venue has its ups and downs. It's just a bit of a pain to trek out there, being so used to just walking 5 minutes from a tube station. Only comparable (which feels less of a slog to get to due to the surroundings even though the actual walk is further) I can think of at this moment is the Globe.

#24 Whenindisgrace

Whenindisgrace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

Agree with the above comments on the Almeida.  Attenborough's been there 10 years, and not very distinguished ones in my view.  Isn't it time for him to go?

#25 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5147 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

Daniel, I agree the area doesn't look much in the gloom of early evening when the shops are shut but there are some terrific cafes and shops from the Almeida down to the Angel, well worth a stroll on a Saturday. I agree the Globe blessed with its locale. But then it is there precisely because it is there, so to speak. The Almeida was some sort of other building, hence the outlside entrance to the top layer.

#26 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 28 June 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

But that was announced at least a month or so ago.

Oops, sorry! I meant that Baz's column revealed the casting to me! As you may have gathered from previous posts, the Almeida's dropped off my radar - although I saw and appreciated The House of Bernarda Alba.

#27 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

Going to Pierre Audi's Almeida in the 80s was akin to going to Wilton's Music Hall now. The necessary little journey to a decayed building brought to contemporary theatrical life was like a pilgrimage. The theatre programming was similar to the Barbican's now, in its ambitious, outward looking collaborations, visiting companies, commissions and in-house productions, and there was also an utterly distinctive contemporary music festival and programme. Through the 90s and beyond, Ian McDiarmid and Jonathan Kent narrowed and focused the range but sustained a stream of exceptional productions of plays. They also expanded with productions in larger London theatres which all maintained their house style. They took maximum advantage of their enforced absence from the Almeida (around 2000 to 2002) during its capital redevelopment, staging Almeida productions in specially created temporary theatre spaces in Kings Cross. Then the physically restored theatre reopened with Michael Attenborough in charge and the spark fizzled out.

Also tagged with Almeida

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users