17 replies to this topic

#1 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

I'm looking at staying in London this Summer in June time. Is it safe, specifically at night time? I'm looking at a hotel on the Strand so theatres are nearby, but after the show at night, do theatre-goers feel secure?
Thanks.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#2 JonnyBoy

JonnyBoy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

I walk back with at least one other person and have never felt unsafe, especially round the Strand area.  There are always people about provided you stick to main roads and don't venture down quiet side streets.

#3 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5147 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

You have to follow the same rules as you would at night in any big city. If you don't what these are then either ask someone who does or PM one of us. You should have a really good time in London this summer. Don't be put off by the naysayers.

#4 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

Nothing has ever happened to me anywhere in London and I never really consider my safety in the West End.  Just be careful walking down any dark passages in Soho and similar after dark.  And the City  Council Lighting Department works very hard at lighting these up wherever possible.  As well as working very closely with the Cops on safety issues.

I doubt there is anywhere in the West End where a Po-lice is more than 2 minutes away from being on site.  More so than ever this summer.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#5 glossie

glossie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

I've never felt uncomfortable walking around the West End at night, which is more than I can say for where I live! I've walked on my own to Southwark Travelodge after a show and it was no problem. Like the others say, use common sense, stick to the busy roads (which they will be post-show!) walk with head up and you'll be fine.

#6 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

I regularly walk around the west end after dark after a show or the cinema on my own, and have never seen or experienced any trouble. Obviously stick to the main streets and don't do anything stupid, particularly don't get involved if you do happen to see trouble kicking off, but honestly, you'll be fine.

#7 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

I think London has to be one of the safest places to be at night. There are so many people about all the time.

#8 GlasgowTheatreBlog

GlasgowTheatreBlog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

I am a solo female frequent traveller to the west end and have never ever felt unsafe even alone at night. Everywhere is so busy, especially around theatreland and the area where you intend to stay. just don't go down any dark alleys. But very safe and high police presence.

#9 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:46 PM

I'm a regular theatre goer and often walk through theatreland to get to Leicester Sq tube and on to Waterloo to go home.  I have also walked to Leicester Sq to get the nightbus at 2.30am (all of these on my own) and as long as you use common sense you will be fine.

#10 Steffi

Steffi

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:Find me on twitter @Steffi_G

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

I'm a regular theatregoer in London and since I often watch shows on my own I've walked around theatreland on my own countless times. I have never felt unsafe. There are so many people around almost everywhere in Central London. A lot of them are out to party so you will probably see some drunk / loud people but that's about it (and even with those I've never had trouble).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users