#11 Michael H

Michael H

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

All very sensible advice.

I must admit I've never felt unsafe in the West End, due to the reasons given above.  Just be careful of pickpockets, as you would in any other large city.

(And if you hear one late-night reveller singing "Let's All Go Down The Strand" from your hotel, please forgive me.)

Do enjoy your trip, and please let us know how you get on.
Me is directing again - Private Peaceful at the Charles Cryer Theatre, Carshalton, 23 to 26 April 2014.

#12 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

The other advise is - don't go using your phone or other devices whilst walking alone - it only takes two seconds to swipe this obvious illuminated swag - wait until you are back in your hotel room or your place of destination. - I have always felt safe in West End but I was victim to a mugging just a few months ago, however this didn't spoil my recent six week stint in the city. Enjoy yourself and as long as you take sensible precautions then you should be fine!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#13 Caz

Caz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, walking around London

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

View Posttheatreliker, on 21 May 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

I'm looking at staying in London this Summer in June time. Is it safe, specifically at night time? I'm looking at a hotel on the Strand so theatres are nearby, but after the show at night, do theatre-goers feel secure?
Thanks.

Hi, The Strand hotels and around that area is very safe, u don't mention which hotel, l have stayed in Charing Cross, Hilton Trafalgar, Hilton Waldorf and the Savoy and have never had any problems at all, l stay in these hotels on my own and have never had a problem, best area to stay for theatre and sightseeing, so enjoy!Best wishesCarol

#14 Vicky

Vicky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

I feel more safe in London at night than I do in my home town (I think that says something)

If I stay over (and this is not often - normally when day seating is invloved the morning after) I normally stay in the Kings Cross area.

However over the last year or so I would say my friday night show has been Jersey Boys, and after the show and waiting for a certain cast member, we always have a little chat around the stage door - just incase anyone else wants to talk to this person - then once this person is ready will always ask if I am ready to leave, and we will walk down to the tube together - and that is normally when the conversation turned into more personal things that was going on at the time.When this person leaves, I wouldn't use the same route as we have done in the past but I am certainly not concerned walking from that theatre or any theatre at night to the tube by myself.

#15 Minsky

Minsky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

I think you will be suprised by the number of people around on the streets. I am a bit disabled and walk with a stick and I have never felt threatened.

#16 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

Thanks very much for your comments. Just got back from London and saw some great pieces of theatre.
:).
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#17 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

The truth is that most theatre shows finish at the same time, so it actually gets busy on a night around 10pm! There's no reason to feel unsafe in London if you stick to the main streets and apply the same safety measures that you would anywhere else. There is a police station on the strand anyway (side street), if that makes you feel secured.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#18 shetlander

shetlander

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

i go to london a lot from north schotland and i find that if you stick to the main roads its fine.  i have never felt unsafe, but when shows come out its usualy a mass of folk so stick to them as long as you can. ive stayed in the strand palace and its very near the theatres, i usualy cut through covent garden  but you could walk to trav squ then along the strand if you are unsure.  its usualy fine at the times shows come out but im not sure id do the same when nightclubs come out as ive never done it, If you are unsure get one of the guys on a bike to run you home or take a taxi untill you see for yourself.

hope you have a great visit, i love comming to london and packing as many show in as i can

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users